New Oval Album

connect_icut

Apparently, there's a new Oval album coming out very soon (the first since about 2003, I think.) From what I can ascertain (mainly through Twitter), it called Oh, it's coming out on Thrill Jockey and it's quite different from anything Markus "King of Glitch" Popp has done before. If anyone has any more information to offer, I would greatly appreciate it.

In the meantime, here's a classic from 1994:

http://bubblegumcage3.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/07-do-while-e29c82.mp3

nochexxx

harco pronting
Apparently, there's a new Oval album coming out very soon (the first since about 2003, I think.) From what I can ascertain (mainly through Twitter), it called Oh, it's coming out on Thrill Jockey and it's quite different from anything Markus "King of Glitch" Popp has done before. If anyone has any more information to offer, I would greatly appreciate it.

In the meantime, here's a classic from 1994:

http://bubblegumcage3.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/07-do-while-e29c82.mp3

wicked, love all of his records (apart from the early one with the singing)! So was also great.

connect_icut

I've always avoided hearing the first album - people told me it was pretty embarrassing. The only one I considered a bit shaky was Ovalprocess - too much fax-modem noise! Still, he got back on track with Ovalcommers, which was wicked.

According to one tweet I read, the new album is very "percussive". I hope this doesn't mean he's started trying to use beats! I'm pretty apprehensive about the whole thing but at the same time, I'm dying to hear it.

zhao

there are no accidents
there were some later dodgy pop glitch-lite stuff with vocals too... (a collab project not under the oval moniker)

nochexxx

harco pronting
there were some later dodgy pop glitch-lite stuff with vocals too... (a collab project not under the oval moniker)

unless something else has escaped me, do you mean So (as i'd written above )? cos that's not dodgy by anymeans.

connect_icut

That's the So album nochexxx was referring to. I don't remember it being "glitch-lite" at all - more like an even more abstract take on the abstract side of Tujiko Noriko's stuff. Haven't listened to the album in ages but I remember loving it at the time.

nochexxx

harco pronting
this performance suprised me somewhat. probably cos i have never seen him perform before and wasn't expecting to see something so rockist. looks a bit like Rollin's, spesh with the hardcore plaids.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

connect_icut

this performance suprised me somewhat. probably cos i have never seen him perform before and wasn't expecting to see something so rockist. looks a bit like Rollin's, spesh with the hardcore plaids.

I saw him live promoting Ovalprocess and it was pretty intense and bizarre. Very loud and Popp was extremely active, with his hands darting between a MIDI controller, a mixer and a laptop. But I don't think he was improvising - he seemed to be re-creating tracks, glitch-for-glitch, from the album!

In about two weeks Oval is playing with the Zeitkratzer ensemble in Cologne and I plan to go. Don't know really what to expect, but this could be good :D

connect_icut

In about two weeks Oval is playing with the Zeitkratzer ensemble in Cologne and I plan to go. Don't know really what to expect, but this could be good :D

Is actually he playing with them or on the same bill as them? They're the people who did the string quartet version of Metal Machine Music, right?

He did one show last year, maybe at some minimalist festival in Holland. I remember reading that he kept stopping and saying " this one isn't finished yet". He's the Cat Power of electronic music!

Is actually he playing with them or on the same bill as them? They're the people who did the string quartet version of Metal Machine Music, right?

I know they played MMM (not sure if it's a string quartet, I haven't heard it). According to this it's a cooperation, so I think they're actually playing together.

connect_icut

Interesting. Well, it's nice to see he's back in the game. I kind of suspect he may have... issues that have prevented him from being musically active for the last few years. I once asked him a question at a lecture he gave here and he basically answered by repeating the entire lecture whilst maintaining direct eye contact with me personally. Like I said... issues. He's a genius, though, so what are you gonna do?

woops

is not like other people
Good tip I'll check this out no doubt.
About the percussive thing - there's plenty of looping and rhythms on Systemisch, I don't see that this will be such a big step necessarily, interested to hear though.

connect_icut

Good tip I'll check this out no doubt.
About the percussive thing - there's plenty of looping and rhythms on Systemisch, I don't see that this will be such a big step necessarily, interested to hear though.

That's true enough but it never really settles into what you'd call a steady back beat. In any case, I suspect the "percussive" thing refers to sound sources rather than the use of rhythm. I guess we'll see.

nochexxx

harco pronting
I saw him live promoting Ovalprocess and it was pretty intense and bizarre. Very loud and Popp was extremely active, with his hands darting between a MIDI controller, a mixer and a laptop. But I don't think he was improvising - he seemed to be re-creating tracks, glitch-for-glitch, from the album!

sounds great. i actually went to see him play once, but arrived at the venue to find he had pulled the show at the last minute. rumours circulated that he refused to fly because promoters didn't book him a Lufthansa ticket. not sure i believe that, but i guess it could have been post 9/11 anxiety.

connect_icut

sounds great. i actually went to see him play once, but arrived at the venue to find he had pulled the show at the last minute. rumours circulated that he refused to fly because promoters didn't book him a Lufthansa ticket. not sure i believe that, but i guess it could have been post 9/11 anxiety.

Or... y'know... just... issues. Okay, he's crazy! There, I said it!! Are you happy now?

So, has anyone actually heard any of this alleged new album or what?

connect_icut

does markus popp use twitter then? :)

i'd like minute to minute info on this up and coming release.

Boy does this ever make me want to make a fake Markus Popp Twitter account. But I shall resist.

Apparently, he's also doing some kind of (split?) 12" as part of a subscription-only series that Thrill Jockey does.

skull kid

actually, the first oval album, wohntohn, is fantastic. not nearly as much vocals as reviews would lead you to believe, and they're hardly intrusive. they remind me of holger hiller

it has an early version of "do while"