Who's seeing ash in the sky?

Here's where it's coming from

volcano-radar-image-580x372.jpg

:eek:

http://www.universetoday.com/2010/0...land-volcano-from-just-a-few-kilometers-away/

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Good find, HMG - what an image!

Reminds me of a short story (Arthur C. Clark, mebbe? Edit: yeah, Asimov, I think that's who I was thinking of, dur) about some scientists and military types conducting nuclear tests, and while studying a blast in a frame-by-frame replay, they see a leering devil face momentarily form in the mushroom cloud. This must have been the inspiration for a 'news' story I saw years ago in National Enquirer that supposedly reported the same phenomenon, complete with dodgy photoshops to prove it. :D

Last edited:
Good find, HMG - what an image!

Reminds me of a short story (Arthur C. Clark, mebbe?) about some scientists and military types conducting nuclear tests, and while studying a blast in a frame-by-frame replay, they see a leering devil face momentarily form in the mushroom cloud. This must have been the inspiration for a 'news' story I saw years ago in National Enquirer that supposedly reported the same phenomenon, complete with dodgy photoshops to prove it. :D

Yes, I remember that. Here He is.

devil-face-wtc.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yes, I remember that. Here He is.

devil-face-wtc.jpg

Ha, the 'devil-face-in-smoke' meme must be more widespread than I thought - the 'article' I was talking about was definitely about nuclear mushroom clouds, I remember seeing it when I was at school back in the early 90s.

massrock

I think that story might be called "Silly Asses". It's by Isaac Asimov.

Ah it's actually "Hell-Fire", by Asimov.

Last edited:

hatwell

I've got two friends who came to visit me in the States stuck in an airport hotel in DC since Thursday. Read a news article about 'plucky Brits' channelling the 'Dunkirk spirit' to get home (guess which paper!), the story featured a couple who paid £8000 to charter a private boat across the Channel to get their son Cameron home in time to do his Philosophy A-Level exam. Such brave people!

Leo

i've heard the queen mary has space: five-day journey US-UK, $1,500-$5,000 depending on cabin size.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What kind of dicks take their kid on holiday a few days before his A-level exams?

Dickish ones, I guess.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
our kid told me a colleague of his drove back from Turkey where he had been holidaying. mental. well, drove to France from Turkey, then chunneled it at least.

great story in a paper today about how some bloke who runs a vegetarian Swiss restaurant in southwest London (that was the description it gave) is chartering a coach or such to get him and a load of regular customers to Zurich from the UK.

ASH CLOUD FOR PRIME MINISTER, as it says on Facebook.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Awesome timelapse footage:

Edit: bugger, the video-embedding gremlins are at it again. URL is Watch out for the ghostly shell of a crashed plane around 1:30!

Uh-oh

2nd Iceland volcano issues warning
Scientists say powerful Katla is ‘close to failure’

was3077394.rp350x350.jpg

An April 17 NASA image shows the Eyjafjallajokull volcano to the west and Myrdalsjokull ice cap, beneath which slumbers the mighty Katla volcano, to the east

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37371442/ns/world_news-europe

LONDON - A second, much larger volcano in Iceland is showing signs that it may be about to erupt, scientists have warned.

Since the start of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption, which caused cancellations of thousands of flights in Europe because of a giant ash cloud, there has been much speculation about neighboring Katla.

An initial research paper by the University College of London Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction said: "Analysis of the seismic energy released around Katla over the last decade or so is interpreted as providing evidence of a rising ... intrusive magma body on the western flank of the volcano."

"Earlier seismic energy release at Katla is associated with the inflation of the volcano, which indicates it is close to failure, although this does not appear to be linked to seismicity around Eyjafjallajökull," it added.

"We conclude that given the high frequency of Katla activity, an eruption in the short term is a strong possibility," the report said. "It is likely to be preceded by new earthquake activity. Presently there is no unusual seismicity under Katla."

Icelandic President Ólafur Grímsson has warned governments around Europe that a significant eruption at the volcano is close. "We [Iceland] have prepared ... it is high time for European governments and airline authorities all over Europe and the world to start planning for the eventual Katla eruption," he said.