Saints!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Happy Saint George's day, everyone! But don't feel too special; George is the patron saint not only of England but also of "Aragon, Catalonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres (Spain), Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Milan, Pomorie, Preston, Salford, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lod, Barcelona and Moscow, as well as a wide range of professions, organizations, and disease sufferers."

What. A. Slag.

Saints are great. I particularly like St. Catherine of Siena, one of Italy's two patron saints, who amongst other things is the patron of people ridiculed for excessive piety. :D

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I gather Santeria is so called because that's the old (perjorative) term for hagiolatry, or saint-worship. AFAIK it's OK to venerate saints, as long as you don't worship them (though to know the formal difference between veneration and worship you'd probably have to be a bit more Catholic than I am, which is not hard).

Edit: and I think a lot of 'saints' are genuinely just old pagan gods with a Christian makeover - this is certainly the case in Ireland, probably Latin America too.

swears

preppy-kei
Yeah, I got all this in primary school, we worship the holy trinity, but only honour Mary and the saints.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
Edit: and I think a lot of 'saints' are genuinely just old pagan gods with a Christian makeover - this is certainly the case in Ireland, probably Latin America too.

Santa Muerte is a cigar smoking outlawed (by the Catholic Church) central American saint of death. She/He (It's depicted as both genders) has loads of connections with pre-European deities.