Chris Weingarten slams blogs for myriad of journalistic sins

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah a lotta these thoughts were spinning around my head for some time. glad someone blurted them out.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
That guy is too annoying to watch though. He's so self-important.

yeah, maybe he has a point, but my mind kept wandering to other things during that... like how many people on earth are starving, or dying of preventable diseases, and the wars going on...

I think we'll all be ok if the aura around indie culture dies, really. I can't imagine giving that much of a shit about it.

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah, maybe he has a point, but my mind kept wandering to other things during that... like how many people on earth are starving, or dying of preventable diseases, and the wars going on...

I think we'll all be ok if the aura around indie culture dies, really. I can't imagine giving that much of a shit about it.

in a way "art" (used here in loosest possible way) is frivolous in the face of life and death problems, but in another it is the most important thing we can do - for it makes life worth living.

i'm reminded of the stories of people in war torn africa getting up and dancing immediately when someone switches on a record player...

nomadthethird

in a way "art" (used here in loosest possible way) is frivolous in the face of life and death problems, but in another it is the most important thing we can do - for it makes life worth living.

i'm reminded of the stories of people in war torn africa getting up and dancing immediately when someone switches on a record player...

ya, people like to dance and whatever...

i just can't fathom getting so worked up about a sector of the entertainment industry and its workings... only if it was your livelihood could you possibly care so much...

grizzleb

It's hardly the internet that creates trends and makes shit stuff popular and good stuff unappreciated. I'm pretty sure that was happening back when there was just radios and no trendy magazines to cater for whatever niche group you fit into. Music writing and journalism can be interesting, but it's not really the same as actually listening to music. I mean, I read wire magazine and laugh, it's really daft, fair enough some of it I agree with, or it's about music I like, but it's pretty frivolous. And all the records it reviews I've heard a month before. How relevant really is it? Someone spouting a few words about a gig elevated to the status of art...hmm

zhao

there are no accidents
i just can't fathom getting so worked up about a sector of the entertainment industry and its workings... only if it was your livelihood could you possibly care so much...

well yeah. chefs getting worked up about recipes, film directors getting worked up about some camera lens... it's all terribly unimportant in a way isn't it. so should they all give up what they love to become fire fighters or relief workers?

zhao

there are no accidents
ya, people like to dance and whatever...

yes. and we should never forget that life is a blessing, and should be celebrated when ever it is possible.

(in a conscious and responsible way preferably, which is different from disgusting blind indulgence)

stephenk

he isn't talking about art, he's talking about his job reviewing records, and that is definitely not art. fair enough points though, there probably does need to be more hate. for example, his clothes are terrible.

but i'm generally with grizzleb...if you're interested in it, you'll sift through and find good stuff regardless. hypem is generally disgusting in its fickleness and shameless promotion but even if it's feeding its viewers the "lowest common denominators" it isn't preventing me from making my own choices as a consumer.

zhao

there are no accidents
??

why would i care about warp or what you've got to say about it, oand why has that little snipey aside got anything to do with you being a troll?

lol you are dummy stop fucking trolling.

don't you work for warp records?

zhao

there are no accidents
??

why would i care about warp or what you've got to say about it, and why has that got anything to do with you being a troll?

you're trolling about a topic you don't care about with mother teresa there, stop it and we might have a conversation running here about an interesting subject.

and what thing of any value have YOU added to this interesting subject other than repeat what the video said, Mr. Edit Master?

zhao

there are no accidents
hes quite interesting - the lack of music in music mags and the need for the first - you see that alot its stupid
respectable magazines esp in the state turned into salivating monkeys to get whatever they can leaks anything whatever.

quoted before he edits it.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I don't know if he addressed this as I didn't watch it to the end.... but to me, one of the real strengths of the internet is the way that anybody can actually set themselves up as a critic (or creator for that matter) outside of mainstream media - obviously this generates loads of chaff but the good stuff will rise and generate a following. I think this leads to new discourses and discussions and ways of interacting (this place for one, Woebot, Uncarved, verygoodplus etc etc). I didn't see this recognised in what he was saying - the swings that blogs give us as well as the roundabouts.

swears

preppy-kei
I kind of like our high-speed ADHD info-junkie culture with it's fingers constantly hovering over the fast forward or NEXT button. It's cool and futuristic.

James Flint: Why is it that much of the content on the Internet, this supposedly amazingly democratic, anarchic forum, is becoming dull and corporate and organised?

Nick Land: Your question suggests that there's some pre-existing social pool of liberatory, revolutionary, emancipatory creative potential that could be expected to spontaneously express itself as soon as it had an opportunity to do so. But there is no such intrinsic power of innovation latent in the human organism that's just waiting to bounce out onto the web. So the question really is what are the assemblages that are emerging? And correspondingly to what extent are distributed systems becoming operative as such?

nomadthethird

I kind of like our high-speed ADHD info-junkie culture with it's fingers constantly hovering over the fast forward or NEXT button. It's cool and futuristic.

Love that quote.

Ah, so now 'trolling' is writing one slightly negative and dismissive comment on a message board where you've contributed tons of very lengthy, in-depth posts on hundreds of topics.

Whatever, mms. Every so often you get into a little huff whenever someone suggests that the music industry might not be the be-all, end-all of human existence.

Maybe it's you who needs to settle down a bit.