Where did this start?

As slang I mean.

[It's rapidly in danger of becoming the new "bling".]

So and so "owns" so and so.
Such and such "owns" such and such.

Not nice.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I find it quite amusing - but then, some would call me easily amused, I'm sure.

Whatever its origins, it's certainly gained widespread currency as a result of online gaming.

Edit: I agree with mistersloane, "pwned" (rhymes with "boned") has a pleasing ring to it too. And can be used to construct a watertight form of logical argument: modus pwnens.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
similar to the reggae "control" no? like so and so selecta controls to the fullest.

for sure better than the frat boy "dominate".

how do you feel about "sonned" woebot.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I find it quite amusing - but then, some would call me easily amused, I'm sure.

Whatever its origins, it's certainly gained widespread currency as a result of online gaming.

Edit: I agree with mistersloane, "pwned" (rhymes with "boned") has a pleasing ring to it too. And can be used to construct a watertight form of logical argument: modus pwnens.

Everytime I read "modus pwnens" I always think "modus LOLens" for modus tollens as well.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
The idea of pwned/pwnd is that you don't pronounce the P in spoken language (it's said simply as owned), the P is entirely a written vernacular.

Woebot

actually now that i know it has its roots in gaming (nerdy) it bothers me a lot less. i thought it was gang slanguage. kind of like capitalism infects everything (see Mark Fisher's Capitalist Realism book)

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
actually now that i know it has its roots in gaming (nerdy) it bothers me a lot less. i thought it was gang slanguage. kind of like capitalism infects everything (see Mark Fisher's Capitalist Realism book)

So, when white men engage in macho posturing it's ok.

It's only bad when the scary black men does it?

I hope that's not what you're saying, but it sure sounds that way...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yup, just last year the Met launched Operation Pwnage to tackle the scourge of white-on-white gaming-related violence in London. :eek:

Last edited:

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
being that it originated from an error can we really say there is an idea behind it?

Well.... yes. Groups that modify their own lexicon surely have the right to define pronunciation?
Check out these guys and note how the name is pronounced.
I believe it's similar to people saying "el oh el" out loud (IRL, IMO, TBH).

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
being that it originated from an error can we really say there is an idea behind it?

Surely the fact that it did originate from an mistake is the idea behind it? Is an unwanted pregnancy worth keeping if you think the kid might grow up to be used by the whole world?

zhao

there are no accidents
come to think of it, i also wonder why a gaming origin of the word makes Woebot feel better about it than if it came from street gangs. surely both would equally be cases of capitalism infecting everything?

Woebot

come to think of it, i also wonder why a gaming origin of the word makes Woebot feel better about it than if it came from street gangs. surely both would equally be cases of capitalism infecting everything?

i suppose - on the face of it - spotty geeks are less threatening than organised criminals?

luka

i hate all this new internet derived slang. it makes me sick.
fail
is another one, maybe even more obnoxious