a few cultural differences

zhao

there are no accidents
I doubt Zhao even knows Mistersloane's mates. Why's he saying fuck them?

lol

by "fuck his mates" i mean:

don't worry about what they think. if mister sloane feels like promoting his bad self, he should go right ahead.

i thought this would have been apparent but guess not...

zhao

there are no accidents
I dunno, I'm well, well uncool amongst alot of my mates cos I'm a bit forward about things.

hi mister, i remember you mentioned this thing which grabs any audio that is playing on your computer... what was that shit called again? (by the way your inbox is full)

NEVERMIND FOUND IT!!! a belated thanks!

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
hi mister, i remember you mentioned this thing which grabs any audio that is playing on your computer... what was that shit called again? (by the way your inbox is full)

NEVERMIND FOUND IT!!! a belated thanks!

This sounds useful... what's it called?

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah? and it's freeware? what i really want is a program that can capture screenshots from video files like avi's. i know it's out there.

shift apple 4 on mac - screenshot. pc dunno.

audio hijack is what i was thinking of. grabbed some nice samples from San Soleil today. as well as Me and My... Me and My Rhythm Box! :D

matt b

Indexing all opinion
how about a thread where we compare some interesting differences...

one thing i've noticed after moving to Germany is that the (perhaps overly) confident swagger encouraged in the United States is very much frowned upon here.

as a kid i was taught to always be humble in China, half full bottle being the loudest and all.

in America i've had to learn to act a little bit "I'm the motherfucking SHIT". this seemed necessary to push myself out there, to get my voice heard, or get my work noticed -- in the corporate sector, art world, music circuit. perhaps yours are different but my experiences in America was that the meek, quiet, and humble do not get the job/gallery space/club booking (or even girl).

but this did not translate well in Germany at all. here it seems like ego should be very much concealed. seems if you walk into a situation with that kind of energy people really just switch off. first time i noticed was when i first got here, one night standing outside a club i was asked what kind of dj i was and i replied "better than the mediocre one in there that's for sure" and the reaction was very clearly not the positive one i expected.

i don't know, maybe this is all so subjective, and dependent on so many other cultural specifics and other factors involving personality and others that a sweeping generalization about an entire culture makes next to no sense (regional differences and all)...

but what's it like in England would you say?

other types of differences welcome...

Just started reading this, which refers to this study, which suggests that it is due to status competition and evaluative threats (it's a front to hide vulnerability etc). This is more pronounced in inequal societies.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
yeah? and it's freeware? what i really want is a program that can capture screenshots from video files like avi's. i know it's out there.

It captures video (i.e youtube, or anything else) with the audio, so you don't have to download the swf file and convert it. It's very handy, not sure if it's freeware or not...if you've got quicktime (apple) then you can take stills out of it like that if you want to, course screengrab is quicker if it's just stills.

woops

is not like other people
On PC you can press PRTSC but if you try it on an AVI and paste it in MSPaint it doesn't paste properly, and you can't mess about with it and where's the fun in that?
MSPaint is great by the way.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Just started reading this, which refers to this study, which suggests that it is due to status competition and evaluative threats (it's a front to hide vulnerability etc). This is more pronounced in inequal societies.

(my bolded emphasis.)

think you're on to something there, Matt.

i'd admittedly be interested in studies comparing these sorts of things from developing economies as a case by case, too.
for eg Paraguay's one of the least equal societies on earth, no? maybe there w a slightly more egalitarian developing economy.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
(my bolded emphasis.)

think you're on to something there, Matt.

i'd admittedly be interested in studies comparing these sorts of things from developing economies as a case by case, too.
for eg Paraguay's one of the least equal societies on earth, no? maybe there w a slightly more egalitarian developing economy.

The spirit level book (linked to in my above post) is ALL about the negative impact of inequality on a whole range of social outcomes, from mental health, to education, violence, teenage pregnancy etc etc.

It uses statistical analysis to show the relationship and then sociological/psychological studies to suggest causes.

It focusses mainly on 'developed' nations- Portugal being the 'least developed' (Paraguay's not even in the index), mainly because the overall thrust of the argument is that increasing wealth/GDP alone doesn't create a 'better' society, despite the claims of politicians and economists.

Last edited: