a few cultural differences

zhao

there are no accidents
how about a thread where we compare some interesting differences...

one thing i've noticed after moving to Germany is that the (perhaps overly) confident swagger encouraged in the United States is very much frowned upon here.

as a kid i was taught to always be humble in China, half full bottle being the loudest and all.

in America i've had to learn to act a little bit "I'm the motherfucking SHIT". this seemed necessary to push myself out there, to get my voice heard, or get my work noticed -- in the corporate sector, art world, music circuit. perhaps yours are different but my experiences in America was that the meek, quiet, and humble do not get the job/gallery space/club booking (or even girl).

but this did not translate well in Germany at all. here it seems like ego should be very much concealed. seems if you walk into a situation with that kind of energy people really just switch off. first time i noticed was when i first got here, one night standing outside a club i was asked what kind of dj i was and i replied "better than the mediocre one in there that's for sure" and the reaction was very clearly not the positive one i expected.

i don't know, maybe this is all so subjective, and dependent on so many other cultural specifics and other factors involving personality and others that a sweeping generalization about an entire culture makes next to no sense (regional differences and all)...

but what's it like in England would you say?

other types of differences welcome...

nochexxx

harco pronting
but what's it like in England would you say?

other types of differences welcome...

i reckon this attitude is prevalent amongst the white middle/upper classes.
self promotion in anyshape or form is just not cool! why this should be I have no idea and tbh I have felt isolated here in the UK because of it. it's way different with the working classes/non whites though. perhaps I’m generalsing too much, but it is what i feel i’ve experienced.

nochexxx

harco pronting
am i right in thinking that it's rude to make eye contact in Japanese culture ?
that's quite the opposite here in the western world.

DannyL

Wild Horses
It's all masked in elaborate layers of irony.

If you're an effete metrosexual ponce, like most of us, that is.

If you're a bluff, no nonsense Northern - different story.

zhao

there are no accidents
self promotion in anyshape or form is just not cool! why this should be I have no idea and tbh I have felt isolated here in the UK because of it. it's way different with the working classes/non whites though. perhaps I’m generalsing too much, but it is what i feel i’ve experienced.

yeah i've noticed this a bit. even on here. coyness and self deprecation seem to be considered charming. while the opposite i suppose is vulgar.

zhao

there are no accidents
certainly related to what woebot was saying about the awful phenomenon of musicians and labels being marketing savvy these days. his argument was couched in a more political context, along the lines of Capitalism infecting everything, etc, but i think the sort of deeper cultural biases i'm talking about here also have a lot to do with his sentiments.

while i understand and respect this perspective -- that artists and musicians should resist corporate marketing techniques, should not have myspace pages, should not send out mass emails, and just quietly do what they do, hoping (or not?) that through word of mouth or other non-commercial means people hear of their work -- i feel that the other way of doing things should also be understood and respected.

in my life i have seen too many good artists/musicians/writers not get the attention they deserve, which is not only sad for them, but i believe for the world (while loud mouthed yahoos prance all over the place). so i absolutely believe in the goodness of artists pushing themselves in what ever way is effective, also empowering themselves, economically, legally, and in what ever context they find themselves.

nochexxx

harco pronting
while i understand and respect this perspective -- that artists and musicians should resist corporate marketing techniques, should not have myspace pages, should not send out mass emails, and just quietly do what they do, hoping (or not?) that through word of mouth or other non-commercial means people hear of their work -- i feel that the other way of doing things should also be understood and respected.

aww, my mate Gavin! a true romantic. draws all day, rarely leaves the house, wears a broken watch, walks everywhere, managed to work one or two shortlived 'jobs', years spent just to complete one picture - many go unfinished (god only knows what archive resides underneath his bed), becoming forever more extreme and cornered by his own refusal to move within the art world and life. not many like that these days!

92075022-e6c5b0ab3444153d187e62390c6c9646.4bd69bfd-full.jpg

92073713-8183affe3274ed159d7b41edade90d0a.4bd69a47-full.jpg

92074035-a174f0b9885c92f204fa16e9b04bfdbd.4bd69abb-full.jpg

nochexxx

harco pronting
he would de-friend me if he ever found out i posted his pictures. took me years to convince him that he should allow me to scan his work in case of house fires etc. ;)

nochexxx

harco pronting
for me it's a question of balance and self expansion, if your working tradition reigns over and above yr tweets and myspaces, then there's nothing wrong with stretching your meta- tentacles. makes you more complete imo.

zhao

there are no accidents
aww, my mate Gavin! a true romantic. draws all day, rarely leaves the house, wears a broken watch, walks everywhere, managed to work one or two shortlived 'jobs', years spent just to complete one picture - many go unfinished (god only knows what archive resides underneath his bed), becoming forever more extreme and cornered by his own refusal to move within the art world and life. not many like that these days!

92075022-e6c5b0ab3444153d187e62390c6c9646.4bd69bfd-full.jpg

92073713-8183affe3274ed159d7b41edade90d0a.4bd69a47-full.jpg

92074035-a174f0b9885c92f204fa16e9b04bfdbd.4bd69abb-full.jpg

none of these images work for me. even when i copy paste the URLs. just blank pages.

but i think there are still a lot of people like this. i had friends like this in LA.

zhao

there are no accidents
and speaking of self promotion, funny to see a few other posters with rainbow colored signature links now :cool:

zhao

there are no accidents
wow crazy! you should pimp him out to some galleries and take a percentage of sales.

nochexxx

harco pronting
wow crazy! you should pimp him out to some galleries and take a percentage of sales.

i've been trying to get him involved with stuff for ages. even to the point where he did some design for me way back. alas, he was impossible to work with..... i'd ask him to make a record sleeve and he would come back with a 3 by 5 meter drawing, even though i would specifically instruct him to draw something which could be scanned. i'd end up having to shell out cash at pro scanning houses and even then i'd have to do it in sections.

zhao

there are no accidents
this elephant one is seriously dope. the extreme cropping, the palette, the details, the suggestion of narrative leaving so much to the imagination.

nochexxx

harco pronting
ffs. images are gone again. serves me right for doing the dirty. :(

p/s the extreme cropping is me trying scan the damn thing!

grizzleb

From my own perspective, from making music and stuff I actually think that any promotion exposure can negatively influence how I relate to art/whatever project I'm involved in. I used to (and still do) make music, and when I was about 15/16 I had some very minor success/praise from magazines and people in the scene I was around. Of course it basically stopped me from showing my stuff to other people, I spent more time making music, and most of the stuff I was making was better than the stuff that had garnered any praise, but I just felt a bit at odds with people expecting anything of me, and found that I didn't enjoy music as much as I once did. I was constantly over-thinking/over-analysing stuff instead of enjoying it for what it is. So I've never released any music since then, despite a few offers, because I kind of enjoy it as a private thing; the way I see it, there's loads of people making better/more interesting shit than me, so why should I force my stuff out there. And also, why should I take anyone else's opinion on what I've made?

Sometimes art just being a simple process to be enjoyed is better than fitting in to any wider 'scene' for people to chew you up and spit you out...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
There's a large amount of humility within Uk culture (the proverbial 'sorry!' being the best example, there's a correlation with the Japanese there as well) which would see 'blowing your own trumpet' as being gauche. I think this extends across class in the UK - it's the Americanisation of stuff that's led to it being seen as OK to overly self-promote.

That and people you tend to meet who self-promote are generally wankers and just get laughed at.