Editing Together .avis

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
Ello - wanted to pick the brains of any movie-editing savvy posters. Please note: i'm NOT technical, don't have reams of software or processing power...

Problem 1:

Short summary: making a compilation movie to run as a backdrop at nights I run.

So I've labouriously ripped appropriate scenes from dozens of different movies using VirtualDub. That bit was fairly painless.

However, I've tried various "easy" means to combine all these clips - Windows MovieMaker, Nero Vision etc - which just don't work. They either can't cope with the file size or .. well, I dunno.

I then tried to drop some files back into Virtual Dub and combine them that way, but it turns out when I ripped the clips originally, I paid no heed to the sample rate (didn't know I needed to for a fairly basic project) so Virtual Dub won't let me append one on the other.

Any suggestions on what application I might be able to "source" which would let me edit these files together really basically (i mean, some transitions / wipes options would be cool but it's not a dealbreaker).

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
Problem 2:

If I drop an .avi into Virtual Dub - say a 700mb rip of a 2 hour movie - and then crop out and resave a clip of about 30 seconds, how on earth is that clip about ending up about 200mb despite being a fraction of the length of the original file? What's being expanding, and how do I stop it? (do i even WANT to stop it?)

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
actually, don't worry - it seems that my problem was using shonky amateur apps. I've just "acquired" Adobe Premiere and while it's gonna take time to learn it all, it clearly does the job...