UK GENERAL ELECTION THURSDAY MAY 6th 2010

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Question Time was great yday. anyone?

obviously she's a loon but Mel as ever gave good copy. Hezza being a bit patrician and fairly agreeable in his own 'doesn't buy his own furniture' way, Hughes made some very fair points about NuLab's appalling civil libs record, whilst generally being a bit of a cock and getting owned by the pretty much excellent Mehdi Hasan (my gosh his feistiness is not going to win over the floating voters, i suspect) who only boo-booed (i didn't see all of it, more like the last half) when he said he'd bet w Hughes about the new govt falling in two years (personally i see no reason why we won't be going to the polls again in 2015 and that is that).

Lord Falconer was OK too, wry sense of humour, shame he didn't take the responsibility offered by an audience question to really discuss the Ed Balls leadership challenge in any seriousness (whether you wouldn't mind Balls or not - and i know he's too abrasive for some and generally such a media unsavvy type for the fairweather Worcester Woman - he seems to the left of David M, although tbf i really don't think i've ever heard the latter talk anything other than foreign policy so hard to tell, more sort of a general impression which may be unfair of course).

so generally Hasan on top, Falconer alright, Hezza and Hughes alright in their own way and Mel gloriously, effervescently, stupidly wrong.

Will Hutton was OK on Newsnight about welfare too, given Esler's seeming determination to press for quick soundbite answers.

what a pleasure it is to breakfast over Susanna Reid on BBC News. if you know what i mean.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Contents of Scottdisco's head:

susanna_reid_12.jpg

Don't pretend you're thinking about Lord Falconer's wry sense of humour!!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
haha. i stopped watching tv a while back (no 'moral' reason, just thought I could catch the best stuff on iplayer and leave it at that), so i'm out of touch with, er, breakfast babes.

ms reid is quite nice though - where is that older women thread again?

of whom the undisputed winner is....:

crackerjack

to return to my favourite theme of the moment...

1.15pm: The 55% controversy (see 9.44am) is causing agitation in Tory ranks, and it's just gone public.

This from the Press Association:

Charles Walker became the first Tory MP to speak out publicly against the plan to require a vote of 55% of MPs for parliament to be dissolved before the end of its five-year term.

The measure was part of the deal hammered out between the coalition partners to reassure the Liberal Democrats that David Cameron could not pull out and call a snap general election when they were at a disadvantage.

However Walker, the MP for Broxbourne, denounced the plan as a threat to the "primacy of parliament" which was simply being introduced for the "convenience" of the Lib-Con coalition.

"It is not the duty of parliament to prop up this coalition. That is the duty of the coalition partners, and if they can't make it work, and if they lose the confidence of parliament, then we must have a general election. It is a simple as that," he told the BBC News channel.

"This is a matter of convenience because clearly the leader of our party, David Cameron, wants a five-year parliament and the Liberal Democrats want fixed terms and they don't want there to be a general election along the way.

"But if parliament and the nation lose confidence in this coalition government there should be a general election, whether that is in two years or three years or four years. This is about the primacy of parliament."

It will be interesting to see if other Conservatives now break cover.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
(drools at Baboon's link ;) )

given how the new govt has been rightly getting plaudits for seeking to reverse a lot of Lab's awful civil lib stuff, this 55% thing is a bit of an odd one. from a hard-nosed coalition leadership pov you can see why they're going for it, but i believe Crackerjack accurately summed it up earlier w the usage of a few four letter words.

i'd have thought it won't just be Tory members that will soon be revolting but plenty of Lib Dems too.

what does anyone think will happen?

i reckon the leadership might climb down, i mean obv it's disgraceful.

perhaps SKY News can doorstep the Hon Mem for Haltemprice and Howden :eek:

thinking ahead, you'd think critics would not start getting derided as latte-sipping idealists this early (tbf to the leadership, critics have not been addressed yet, i'm just thinking aloud), i mean they don't want to start repeating Lab mistakes of smearing dissenting views w any real ferocity, certainly not so early doors as i say.

mos dan

fact music
Question Time was great yday. anyone?

obviously she's a loon but Mel as ever gave good copy. Hezza being a bit patrician and fairly agreeable in his own 'doesn't buy his own furniture' way, Hughes made some very fair points about NuLab's appalling civil libs record, whilst generally being a bit of a cock and getting owned by the pretty much excellent Mehdi Hasan (my gosh his feistiness is not going to win over the floating voters, i suspect) who only boo-booed (i didn't see all of it, more like the last half) when he said he'd bet w Hughes about the new govt falling in two years (personally i see no reason why we won't be going to the polls again in 2015 and that is that).

mehdi was effing superb, as he always is on any questions too - catch it on iplayer while you can if u haven't seen it. he made such an impact, in fact, that the new statesman's phone was ringing off all friday - people calling the switchboard just to say 'i saw question time last night and totally agreed/disagreed with mehdi hasan...' lol. best advertising ever. they also had 35 people subscribe to the mag while the programme was *on air* hah

grizzleb

I thought it was a great watch, QT.. I pretty much agreed with Hughes and Heseltine. Felt much of the anger against them was a bit wildly over-idealistic.

Still no mention of Labour basically rubbing their hands with glee as the coalition makes all the cuts they would have have to, whilst they blame everything on two parties who might actually have put pragmatism in front of narrow interests...Regardless of the outcome I think that neither one of them looks great from a party activist or average voter point of view, and thats why I view the allegations that either side 'sold out' with a bit of suspicion. Takes a bit of grit to get down and do some dirty work, and attempt to do the best you can by your voters (unlike labour!!).

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i found it cute how Hasan blogged afterward w some clarifying remarks about how Hezza was his fave Tory after Clarke (where's Gove to argue against when you need him, as he said) and he likes Hughes in general (well given Hughes is a Beveridge liberal, he's got to be more in tune w Hasan than, say, David Laws, as i noted elsewhere), so perhaps he had some second thoughts.

Hasan seems to join J Hari AFAICT in regret that some form of lib-lab-others 'progressive' coalition wasn't brought through. i mean aside from dropping ID cards i don't know what else the lab negotiatiors offered the libs but we knew well before the election that Clegg was off-the-record but known to be favouring working w Cameron as he read the runes, and i'm sure that Gordon 'electoral liability' Brown telling him to fuck off down the phone can't have helped matters.

(don't get me wrong, i'd have preferred lab to pick up more votes and so try to carry on w some counter-cyclical policies for a while, as Blanchflower pointed out on Ch4 News when Snow interviewed him, delaying some of the cuts that before the election the Tories promised they would undertake quicker than lab etc, who had the most redistributive proposed budget etc; but clearly i'm a realist too.)

if i understand what Grizzleb is saying correctly about over-idealistic criticisms, i agree w G.

lib-tory coalition was always on the cards, and it's not a surprise, and that's all there is to it. plus obviously the Tories are the most popular party, so that is that. i understated earlier on the thread how many lib-tory coalitions there are in councils across the country (even when lab have been the largest party and you might have thought the liberals would join w lab instead, rather than choosing to marry up w the tories), apparently it's 18 i believe, i said 12 or 15, which was wrong of me i'm told.

as for lab rubbing their hands w glee in terms of their narrow partisan interest, i'm afraid to say that is politics for you. it's not like the coalition govt isn't good for tory and liberal high command (as distinct from say, right wing Tory moonbats and the most precious Liberal activists) in their own partisan right too, tbf (though obv it's great they are both - as we knew they would be - far superior to New Lab on civil libs: if the Lab of the 80s who were outraged at police brutality during the miners' strike etc could've seen what Blair got up to, i am sure they would be turning in proverbial graves).

Cameron gets a nice liberal gloss and some modernisation off the LD effect, whilst the Liberals get a chance to further their own interests in electoral reform etc.

four_five_one's sterling work on the new Thailand thread reminded me that in a very small way, Thaksin is a bit like New Labour. no problems w wealth and the wealthy etc, but did a little bit for the poor, certainly far more than any alternatives available (granted Thaksin's 30 baht health visit scheme should not be undersold as that is a major plus, among other things; not going into Thaksin's many crimes and excesses here, some of which were incredibly grave, i am just making a very rough analogy).

sorry rather OT there!

it's interesting Hezza is now the urban regeneration adviser. when he was Docklands point man for Maggie he complained that local people had too much power and had to be bypassed for Canary Wharf to progress. i wonder what he's got up his sleeves today?

massrock

Yes I suggest the government scales back Trident, it's rubbish.

I recommend Tom's Of Maine with Tea Tree and Aloe Vera

samdiamond

alastair campbell and piers morgan on next weeks question time. dunno if anyone saw this weeks, theresa may 'changed her mind' and thinks gays are all fine now