Four Lions - mild spoilers inside

hucks

Your Message Here
Anyone else seen this? If not, mild spoilers below

So stop reading

I though tit was pretty good, pretty funny. The writers are the two who do Peep Show, as well as Chris Morris, so there's good pedigree there. I thought the central idea - UK suicide bombers as berks - has plenty of comic potential, and obv they got plenty from it. The bits with Omar's family were really affecting - his seemingly sane wife saying he's more fun when he's going to blow himself up, his son watching his suicide video and asking if he's killed any kufur.It had deliberate echoes of Mohammed Sidique Khan which were pretty uncomfortable.

I'm not entirely sure it worked dramatically, though, cos there were too many really stupid main characters which robbed the film of momentum. And it meant that to total incompetence of the police was less funny than it could have been.

Also, I don't think I've ever found someone dying funny - not Pulp Fiction, not anywhere really - but the cinema I was in pissed itself with each suicide bombing. So I dunno if I was missing something.

JWoulf

wow, didn't know it was out, have really been looking forward to this. Morris probably the sharpest satirist/comedian of our time. haven't heard anything from him since his beef with martin amis. Where did you see it

version

Good interview that. Interesting to see someone openly talking about stuff like COINTELPRO on TV. Shame he doesn't pop up more often.

version

His point about it still being possible to ridicule someone like Trump despite him almost ridiculing himself is good. That the problem is we've gotten used to a form of satire where you dissect the problem for 'the court' and ridicule the 'orthodox elite' then the orthodox elite go "Jolly good. Can you do another?" rather than it having the clout to actually achieve anything.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Good interview that. Interesting to see someone openly talking about stuff like COINTELPRO on TV. Shame he doesn't pop up more often.

Yeah it made me wish he presented a show or did a podcast or something. I'm glad he's still around in directorial form but I miss him in front of a camera.

The tweet remark was really classically delivered, made me laugh more than that line would from somebody else.