London hotel/restaurant recommendations

Leo

the misses and i will be in london on our anniversary in june. we're staying with friends/family for the week but want to be on our own at a hotel on the actual anniversary night. anyone have any suggestions for a cool place to stay? while i wouldn't say price is *no* object, it's a special occasion so we don't mind splurging a bit. and any suggestions on a nice special occasion-worthy restaurant?

for both hotel and restaurant, we favor cool places over those that are just posh, but they can be a little upscale.

thanks!

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i bet a browse of the hotels page at Time Out might throw up some hints (i've already seen some nice ones just now, esp in the Boutique Hotels bit).

sorry not a London hotels man myself (other than the cheapest chains) but just wanted to say re eating out you might also want to re-up this question in the Where to eat in London? thread under Misc. too.

folk like ViktorVaughan and Mistersloane always seem to have a good idea of a special occasion restaurant.

p.s.
now that i think about it i am sure i remember someone i trust saying the Dean Street Townhouse (smallish boutique hotel in Soho that is quite new) got their two thumbs up (only remembered cuz it's at the TO site).

Spike

Dissential
Sanderson/St Martins Lane for hotel. And that recommendation is DESPITE the fact that I've worked at both, as usually having been behind the scenes at a place is usually enough to ensure that you recommend that people should stay away from there. Just make sure you book a deluxe or above, mention that it's an anniversary and they'll take good care of you. Otherwise the Soho Hotel is pretty swish, as is the Hoxton Hotel (smallish rooms though)

Restaurant... if you're going for something "cool" you can't go wrong with Hakkasan. In terms of overall vibe and wow factor it's pretty special, and the food is really good too. Bit pricey though. Other votes would go to the Boundary Rooftop or Kensington Roof Gardens for rooftop dining (if the weather is nice)... Or Galvin at Windows for an insanely beautiful view of London at night (it's on the 30th floor or something of the Hilton on Park Lane). Uh, otherwise... If you're really not afraid of price Aqua Nueva/Kyoto will make you drop your jaw in terms of the decor. Haven't eaten there yet so can't comment on the food

Enjoy