Allergies

polystyle

lots of rain at the right time = tree, grass pollen.
and if you don't have allergies now, just wait a bit ...
rated one of the highest allergy seasons 'ever' over here.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
did anyone ever see this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_(film)

always thought it looked kind of terrible but....

Safe's a great film. It spirals out of control a bit but I'd definitely give it a watch, it's almost better because it does go into hyperreal territory rather than stay 'on message', it's nicely hysterical. It typecast Julianne Moore forever in those kinds of roles, and Haynes did it first and best. We did a talk about it once at the Electric with a cognitive behavioural therapist doing a kinda Lacanian reading of it afterwards which was strange and a nice idea but it didn't work lol.

zhao

there are no accidents
a strange one that, and left a lot for me to think about... the nature of modern malaise, psychiatry, new age cults... people i've talked to seem to have some different ideas of what actually happened in the film. (i'm sure someone here will have a lot to say about it...)

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
About 50% of adults in the U.S. have chronic plant and dust allergies, a lot which which can be attributed to 1) the overuse of household cleaners, and 2) sitting indoors and never going outside. NY is particularly bad, there's even an unofficial condition "New York Nose" that both my parents claim to have.

The MCS disease in Safe (haven't seen it) sounds a lot like psychogenic parasitosis, which also afflicts predominantly white, predominantly middle class women (a lot like mild-moderate depression). These women are convinced they have bugs living under their skin, so they spend hours and hours cleaning themselves and their homes trying to get rid of them. Some doctors think it's a real parasite that mostly affects women who've had children, since it's seen sometimes even in African mothers. Some think it's completely in their heads. (The "parasite" metaphor's pretty obvious from that perspective- unwanted kids/family.)

I go with: study it to make sure it's not psychogenic, but make sure they get psychiatric help, too.

STN

sou'wester
Oddly, I get hayfever in the UK but have never, ever experienced it on one of my annual trips to the states.

Woebot

Safe's a great film. It spirals out of control a bit but I'd definitely give it a watch, it's almost better because it does go into hyperreal territory rather than stay 'on message', it's nicely hysterical. It typecast Julianne Moore forever in those kinds of roles, and Haynes did it first and best. We did a talk about it once at the Electric with a cognitive behavioural therapist doing a kinda Lacanian reading of it afterwards which was strange and a nice idea but it didn't work lol.

ok, cool. so worth a peek.

polystyle

This spring's lush greenery came with a price,
seasonal allergies at some all time high here .
cromolyn sodium spray in the AM does it

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know it's terrible, but I can't shake the conviction that people with potentially fatal allergies to common foods like peanuts just need to pull themselves together and stop being such cry-babies.

I always get the generic Loratadine, the brand names are just a ripoff.

Yeah, anyone who buys brand-name OTC medicines wants their head looking at. Value Health/Dr. Reddy's FTW.

hint

party record with a siren
I always get the generic Loratadine, the brand names are just a ripoff.

£2.50ish for 30 tablets at Tesco. Even the Boots own brand ones are more than twice as expensive.

My Hayfever seems to get progressively worse each year though.

jenks

thread death
I know it's terrible, but I can't shake the conviction that people with potentially fatal allergies to common foods like peanuts just need to pull themselves together and stop being such cry-babies.

Yeah, anyone who buys brand-name OTC medicines wants their head looking at. Value Health/Dr. Reddy's FTW.

yes, T, it is terrible. As the father of a child with a potentially fatal nut allergy it's a bit of a minefield - he's always got his epipen and piriton with him and I am sure when we go through all the food at any kid's party we look like a pair of scare mongering parents. However, i have seen him have an anaphalactic reaction and that is rather sobering!

on a different tack - what are these fucking bugs that are biting me to distraction at present leaving me with welts the size of buboes and how can i stop them driving me utterly crazy?

Woebot

However, i have seen him have an anaphalactic reaction and that is rather sobering!

jenks we have exactly the same thing. with sesame and @tea its no joke. throat closes up so the child cant breath. body swollen and covered in red blotches.

actually the big problem is other asshole parents who think you just need to pull yourself together and send their kids in with reactive food.

its a fucking nightmare truthfully.

bobbin

What
on a different tack - what are these fucking bugs that are biting me to distraction at present leaving me with welts the size of buboes and how can i stop them driving me utterly crazy?

i assumed it was another allergy... i also look like a plague victim at the moment, not for the first time (as well as being allergic to the pollen of every known plant variety reproducing between april and september so far as i can tell).

take antihistamine tablets and apply far more than the safe daily dosage of anthisan cream, would be my tip. if you feel like looking even grosser i suppose you could alternatively savage your bites until they're rent open and bleeding. the resulting sensation of pain is certainly preferable.