baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ok, we can't have an Olympics thread on top of the board.

Predictions/barbs/tactical analysis, please....

I'm sticking my neck out and going for the following semis:

England v Brazil, Spain v Argentina. Though I think the Oranje could beat Brazil, and France of course could beat England.

Potential upsets (and this may well screw up my semi-final predicitons, I know): I think the US could beat Germany in their presumed second-round match (they could also beat England of course); Ivory Coast to beat Portugal to second place in group G.

Such a pity: Egypt isn't there.

Star of the tournament: Messi (duh) and Torres (fitness dependent obv)

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
just hope ledley king's knees hold out

and that glenn johnson doesn't make a tit of himself

and that walcott has a good game and doesn't just keep running in straight lines and straight into people.

group matches are gonna be on at about 4pm right? I have a bad feeling about USA

don_quixote

Trent End
12:30pm, 3pm and 7:30pm

unfortunately going to be the first one since 1998 that i can't watch just about every match for. last world cup i was at uni and finished exams the day it started. one before i was doing my gcses and had exam leave.

needless to say i will be watching every match available. it's always a feast.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
we need to invent a new word, loosely modeled on maverick, but denoting something much greater and so much more than your common-or-garden maverick

hucks

Your Message Here
I count five central defenders and no left winger in that squad. A little cautious, I think...

BareBones

wheezy
brave move but walcott has been pretty dreadful every time i can remember seeing him this season - he seems like he can only run in straight lines and his first touch is abysmal. SWP is hardly much better though, he just falls over all the time and scores a fluke goal every 20 games or so. I would've preferred to see adam johnson make the cut, thought he could've made an impact. Lennon obviously 1st choice winger. Glad joe cole made it too.

alex

Do not read this.
agree with the above, they are both a bit pony.

Johnson is the worst pick for me, he has been useless going back recently. His marking skills are atrocious and I caught him ballwatching once or twice in the Japan game. Going forward he does well, but we have Cole for that, he really needs to drop in & play alongside Carragher a lot more.

don_quixote

Trent End
i think the likes of phillip lahm have shown you don't have to be able to defend for shit to do well as a full back in a world cup. glenny johnson will be fine. ashley cole on the other hand is the best left back in the world and will show it.

crackerjack

I can understand why he's dropped Walcott but not to replace him with SWP. Theo almost guarantees a few Roadrunner sprints into the danger zone. True, they'll likely be followed by pattercake shot or pass 5 yards behind the striker, but at least he keeps you dreaming.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
So what's the likely starting midfield then? Do Gerrard and Lampard both play, or is it Lennon, Gerrard, Barry, Milner (or something similar)?

luka

for the first time in my life i have two teams to support as my mothers country new zealand have also qualified. australia were EXTREMELY lucky to scrape a win against them in a recent friendly. they look commited and well organised. they will lose every game but not by much. im really looking foward to seeing a world cup in cold conditions too... should make a big difference.

don_quixote

Trent End
who would you rather come on in the last 20 mins of a game with fresh legs? theo walcott or shaun wright-phillips? decision for me is a no brainer.

hucks

Your Message Here
who would you rather come on in the last 20 mins of a game with fresh legs? theo walcott or shaun wright-phillips? decision for me is a no brainer.

Really? Cos I genuinely can't guess wich one you're referring to :D I would go for Walcott, but it's a leap of faith, really

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
starting midfield will surely be lennon / barry / lampard / gerrard with j.cole/milner coming on in the second when lennon's started to fuck up.