scottdisco

rip this joint please
who are you supporting in the football World Cup?

i know this is roiling football blather, but if anyone is bothered, the name of the country's team. no explanations necessary as to who you are feeling, i'd do a poll but it would be unwieldy.

me: Nigeria.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
North Korea, of course. They're going to merk Brazil.*

*there must be a Rio joke in here, but my mind's too scattered

mos dan

fact music
i guess slightly reluctantly england - it's a long and emotional love/hate thing, with more hate than there probably shd be. czech republic (ancestral team) didn't make it, nor did turkey ('local' team), so honduras for laffs, spain because i can't help but love them, and any african team, sort of obviously.

either way i can't wait, of course - i have the key first round fixtures in my diary already, just so i don't stupidly make other plans.

don_quixote

Trent End
england, but mostly because turkey didn't make it. i have absolutely no association with turkey beyond the fact i love their passion and the way they play, and i used to play as them all the time on pro evo! it's a shame that they didn't make it and also croatia didn't make it.

i want all the african teams to do well too. come on ghana and cote d'ivoire.

hucks

Your Message Here
England. I used to have a regular decision to make on England v Scotland (parents, family all Scottish, I was born in England) but it's really not a problem any more.

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
the amount of conversations i've had w friends in recent months about their booking off work schedules and which pub where and etc etc is phenomenal :)

i don't know if it's the groundbreaking new continental venue (must help) but i'm probably more excited for this than any one since Italia '90 (i was eleven then).

interestingly, i believe the USA's fans are travelling the most en-masse thus far (out of away fans) in terms of ticket sales. England second most. (well, last i heard.) this is unusual as it's usually England i think in terms of biggest away following. (to generalise.)

anecdotally i'd put this down to the country venue and the fact that football in the States continues to grow in popularity, which is obviously a good thing.

there's a great line from some US comedian (i forget their name) where they tell their audience imagine how annoying we'll be to the rest of the world when we actually win the World Cup...

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
ENGLAND

also, GO BAFANA! make the circle beeegerr etc..

btw i heard they were struggling to sell the Bafana quota.. the majority of tickets sold to South African people were for the England and Holland games. not sure what to make of that really..

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Scotland. I'm just going to shout 'Come on Scotland!' etc throughout every game :)

Edit - Just like I shout 'Come on Tim!' when Andy Murray is on telly

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Scotland. I'm just going to shout 'Come on Scotland!' etc throughout every game :)

Edit - Just like I shout 'Come on Tim!' when Andy Murray is on telly

Lols.

I haven't decided who to support yet, and prob won't until the group stages start and I can see what way the teams are going to play it. That's usually how I base my decisions, unless of course by some miracle it's a tournament where Scotland have managed to qualify. *cue incredulous laughter*

IdleRich

IdleRich
England. A thankless task but that's the rule isn't it? You can't pick a team that is good or has players you actually like, you have to stick with the one you were given.

computer_rock

North Korea, of course. They're going to merk Brazil.*

*there must be a Rio joke in here, but my mind's too scattered

Someone's gotta support North Korea - IIRC only the highlights of games that they win are getting broadcast back in NK. So much like a lot of other stuff going on in the world, if you're north korean the world cup might as well not even be happening.

edit -back on topic: En-ger-lund, obviously. However much it pains me you can't choose these things.

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
England. A thankless task but that's the rule isn't it? You can't pick a team that is good or has players you actually like, you have to stick with the one you were given.

very good point.

i should have caveated my Nigeria pick (which was for political reasons, somewhat dilettante i know) w this.

it's random but ever since Thaksin came in at City (nothing to do w the national team, true), my enthusiasm for the game in general took a beating as i became disillusioned w Thaksin coming in (though what else should i have expected in the modern game, of course?). i'm trying to get back in to it and be less angsty, baby/bathwater.

the Manchester area is something of an interesting case as amid patriots of every stripe you do get loads of United fans who will support anyone but, stereotypical internationalist sorts, hangover from the national Beckham animus, etc.
a fair few of my mates are like this, although i know United fans who are England supporters too. (my pa for one!)

there was an interesting letter in a United fanzine once from a Pompey fan who was taking them to task for chanting Argentina stuff a few years back at Fratton, and the writer said it offended some of the home fans as quite a lot of sons of Portsmouth lost their lives in the Falklands conflict.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
incidentally, any international tournament where i was living in the States that England were involved in (the last WC springs to mind most strongly) i predictably turned into a raving Ingerland fan.

watching the Portugal QF in Chicago w a multinational group of mates who were generally neutral but inc Scots and Germans who particularly wanted England to lose was tough :confused:

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Most Scottish people aren't too bothered about England in my experience. I'd quite like England to do well (I'm English by the way) but the English media hype just does my brain in

I'll probably end up supporting teams with Chelsea players in them when England get knocked out in the quarters

hatwell

I seem to remember a USA/North Korea final is possible, so I'm hoping for that, with Deportivo DPRK winning.