Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M.I.A. vs. Mario Brothers

Default M.I.A. vs. Mario Brothers

i know this is a very tired subject.

but i thought this would be entertaining. i saw it posted on another board:

http://www.grigg1.demon.co.uk/cry.on...rlangalang.mp3

brilliant! -- plus we're not too far from bleep n bass territory with this one! -- and mark kinchen has a classic detroit techno track that loops an atari them over and over

but this mix has been around for several months now, hasn't it?

i should try to pick up a copy

Excuse my ignorance but is that "galang" tune actually a big tune or was it done as a joke?

It just sounds like parody to me

'galang' is probably mia's best track.

it sounds a lot better obviously without the theme to mario bros over it

On Kid K's mix he seems to mix Galang into Super Mario Bros but I guess it could be the booty.

Either way it sounds fab in the context of his Absolutely Shocking mix.
    paul.meme
    Out now: Move Down Low VIP on SOUL JAZZ Records SJR225-12
    Out now: Blackdown & Dusk Meet Grievous Angel Uptown: Margins Music Redux (Keysound LDN014)
    Out now: Soundclash1 Remix / Harpy (Keysound LDN011)
    Out now: Ice Rink Refix (Devotional Dubz ERZULIE03)
    Out soon: WOOFAH 4!
    http://blog.grievousangel.net/ | http://www.myspace.com/grievousangelsoundsystem

that mark kinchen track i was trying to think of is "first bass" by separate minds, which endlessly loops some early 80s arcade game theme -- not sure which game

somebody should do a compilation of dance tracks with themes sampled from video games

Empire State Human (UK - there seems to be two bands/persons using this name?)
    has done a remix of Gallalalaalalalng

MP3 from http://www.empirestatehuman.co.uk/
    Ness Rowlah

Quote Originally Posted by dominic
    that mark kinchen track i was trying to think of is "first bass" by separate minds, which endlessly loops some early 80s arcade game theme -- not sure which game

somebody should do a compilation of dance tracks with themes sampled from video games
    You wanna start a list? Well here I go:

Jo - R-Type
    Power Pill - pac man
    that zombie nation track

i saw a w/l of remixes of galang by caveman (is that the old hip hop group who did the crosstown traffic sampling tune i'm ready?
    ) and vibes cartel today .
    very odd, didn't buy it as i'm just gonna buy new things at the moment.

MIA - galang 12" on xl had remixes by vybz cartel and cavemen (ross from fat truckers doing sheffield electro ragga but good). the 12" is actually good.

the mario bros thing was by 'cry.on.my.console' who does other bootleg things.

Yellow Magic Orchestra's early output (ca 1980) contains several tracks with "console music"
    - ie "Computer Game: Theme from the Invader"

One of my favourite underrated bands -
    YMO, the third giant of synthpop for me (besides Kraftwerk and Foxx's "Metamatic")
    Ness Rowlah

jimbackhouse Guest

Hosono (from YMO) also did a whole album of video game music for Namco: each tracks begins with sound fx and music from a then popular video game (pacman, pole position, galaga, xevious (?), bosconian (??), and others even more obscure) before launching into hosono's synth-pop interpretation using the same fx and sounds. It's a great album but hard to listen to all the way through!!

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDjigit
    You wanna start a list? Well here I go:

Jo - R-Type
    Power Pill - pac man
    that zombie nation track
    kernkraft 400 by zombie nation is the track that appropriates the melody from 'lazy jones'.
    8 bit construction set 12" on beige records
    monotrona's 'tekgul' (i think) samples the 'sanxion' theme.

i've got an appallingly bad mid 80's hip hop 12" somewhere called "do the mario" that samples the mario bros theme... can't remember the artist right now...

theres that metal band the minibosses that exclusively cover nes game themes... and another metal band that also does the same...

simon silverdollar Guest

sampling computer games:

wiley 'igloo'.
    terror danjah- cockback [i think].
    most of knifehandchop's first album as well.

Anyone remember a record called "Mario Paint" that came out on Irdial in the mid-90s sometime? all the tracks were composed using the Mario Paint cartridge for the SNES, which came with a really basic sequencing program using sounds from the Mario games. To be honest, the tracks were a bit duff...apart from one remix that was high quality, really good driving house thing...

...been doing some googling and I think it's by Electric Family. Curio value only, apart from the remix.

That old DJ Pierre track, "Rise From Your Grave", samples Sega classic "Altered Beast".

Always thought someone should sample the "bad...move...space...pilot...HA-HA-HA" dialogue from Gorf, but as far as I know no-one ever did.