Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The ol' ethno-tourism question

(and as someone who had an ill-concieved dallience with that undie world at the beginning of college I can safely and sadly say he is very very OTM)

Yeah, look, I think I needed to provide context in my initial post. As David says, I think it's more about all the college radio nerds who suddenly went "thank God, there's intelligent hip-hop after all!" when Anticon first started releasing things. Murs is releasing on Def Jux, collabing with Slug and so on, so is going to be lumped into the same arena, and is reflecting on the audience he encounters in that arena, I guess.

I can't remember if I've said it before in this thread, but Murs is big on the idea of not preaching, and of happily contradicting yourself across tracks, as your ideas shift and you re-think things. So anything he does say I take as more like thinking out loud, rather than like addressing "the people" or some shit.

As for the personal context, I'd spent the weekend sitting on soulseek, chatting with kids in the hip-hop rooms and finding most really damn racist, both those into the nerdy shit and those into the more straight up gangsta thing. It was really depressing (Both sitting on soulseek for a weekend, and what the discussion was like. ). So when I came across this Murs tune towards the end of the weekend I was excited by his take on it.
    Last edited by michael; 25-03-2005 at 05:01 AM.

Omaar Guest

What were the kidz on slsk saying?

Someone said about being black and others started saying stuff like "fuck off you nigger" and "your skin looks like someone wiped shit all over you".

Some other user said she was part Chinese and others started saying "fucking gook, no wonder you don't make sense, fuck off and don't come back until you learn english". Plus "bet you have no tits", "bet you're a slut", that type of thing.

This was in between "anyone got any classic EPMD???" and that kind of thing. Maybe not from the same users, I wasn't keeping track.

Chatroom thugs talk tough behind a modem
    But if they try it in the streets then someone gonna show 'dem

copyright moi

Quote Originally Posted by dubplatestyle
    though if i took an informal poll of black folks in my building, i doubt they've heard of murs either
    nor should they. he's fucking rubbish.