The ol' ethno-tourism question

DavidD

can't be stopped
I feel like I should have the scams white rappers have

Is actually "should have the scans" as in numbers.
And "white rappers" = sage francis and aesop rock, i would presume. (among others)

I like that song. I just sold my Murs album though, the one on Def Jux before that one. "End of the Beginning."

michael

Bring out the vacuum
DavidD said:
I feel like I should have the scams white rappers have

Is actually "should have the scans" as in numbers.
And "white rappers" = sage francis and aesop rock, i would presume. (among others)
Ah, I did think he was saying "scans" but didn't know the jargon, so assumed I just misheard him!

And yep, I think he's talking about people he tours with, hangs with, etc. Slug would come in there, they apparently did a whole album together.

O

Omaar

Maybe he means | he feels his rhymes | do not scan || as well as those | of white rappers.

dubplatestyle

the idea that dude should have the "scans that white rappers have" is ridiculous as there is only one white rapper who routinely trounces the black competition sales-wise and right now even his black protege is kicking his honky ass at the top of billboard.

dubplatestyle

the simple fact is that the majority of white listeners are going to be buying the game or even a b-lister like c-murder before they buy el-p or aesop rock.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
dubplatestyle said:
the simple fact is that the majority of white listeners are going to be buying the game or even a b-lister like c-murder before they buy el-p or aesop rock.

not just WHITE listeners right?

DavidD

can't be stopped
Jess, I don't think he's talking about the pop charts at all, he's clearly referring to that little underground/indie world he inhabits where the best selling artists are guys like Aesop Rock and Sage Francis.

DavidD

can't be stopped
(and as someone who had an ill-concieved dallience with that undie world at the beginning of college I can safely and sadly say he is very very OTM)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, look, I think I needed to provide context in my initial post. As David says, I think it's more about all the college radio nerds who suddenly went "thank God, there's intelligent hip-hop after all!" when Anticon first started releasing things. Murs is releasing on Def Jux, collabing with Slug and so on, so is going to be lumped into the same arena, and is reflecting on the audience he encounters in that arena, I guess.

I can't remember if I've said it before in this thread, but Murs is big on the idea of not preaching, and of happily contradicting yourself across tracks, as your ideas shift and you re-think things. So anything he does say I take as more like thinking out loud, rather than like addressing "the people" or some shit.

As for the personal context, I'd spent the weekend sitting on soulseek, chatting with kids in the hip-hop rooms and finding most really damn racist, both those into the nerdy shit and those into the more straight up gangsta thing. It was really depressing (Both sitting on soulseek for a weekend, and what the discussion was like. :)). So when I came across this Murs tune towards the end of the weekend I was excited by his take on it.

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Someone said about being black and others started saying stuff like "fuck off you nigger" and "your skin looks like someone wiped shit all over you".

Some other user said she was part Chinese and others started saying "fucking gook, no wonder you don't make sense, fuck off and don't come back until you learn english". Plus "bet you have no tits", "bet you're a slut", that type of thing.

This was in between "anyone got any classic EPMD???" and that kind of thing. Maybe not from the same users, I wasn't keeping track.