Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: wot childrens books still haunt your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by PeteUM View Post
    Came here to put that when I saw the thread title. Mickey In The Night Kitchen, I think. His suit of dough!
    I have a tat of Mickey in his dough plane on one shoulder. Most people can't figure out wtf it is... Still pretty obsessed with that and Where The Wild Things Are.

Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    I have a tat of Mickey in his dough plane on one shoulder. Most people can't figure out wtf it is... Still pretty obsessed with that and Where The Wild Things Are.
    Very dreamlike...uh... sensual book.

Crikey. I don't really have a thing for tattoos but if I met a woman with one of those I'd be like a one-eyed cat in a seafood store.

I think he's hitting on you michael.

He he. Fly me to where the wild things are Michael.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeteUM For This Useful Post:

As far as Sendak goes Outside Over There is the scariest. There's a bit where some goblins creep into a girl's bedroom, turn her baby sister into ice and steal her. The ice baby looks horrid. Good fun reading that to preschoolers.

If it sounds familiar that's because your parents also read you scary books when you were small. Or maybe you saw the movie Labyrinth which was kinda based off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Brambly Hedge!

These books are just about the most lovely and gentle thing ever created. I almost feel like I want to have kids purely so I can read these books to them.
    I didn't know those book when I was little but we have one now and my boys love it. Wilfred is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    The bit in Weirdstone where they're trying to get through the horribly narrow tunnels is fantastic (as well as totally playing up to my slightly claustrophobic side) but the orc-things and the elf and all that sort of stuff seems very very tolkein-esque.
    Just re-read it, along with The Moon Of Gomrath. I thought they were both pretty good – though, as I remembered, they end in too much of a rush. And yes, the stuff in the little tunnels is as scary as ever. You can feel yourself heading for a total shitfunk panic just reading it.

The intro to this used to really disturb me

So much so that I refuse to watch it even to this day.

Owliver by Robert Krauss, all Richard Scarrey's books particularly The Great Pie Robbery, plus a Benjamin book about a tragic Baptist teddy bear who was locked up with a toy elephant and had to make paper wings to fly to his chapel. These were all formative, but a bit disturbing.

20753305.jpg

As you may may not know, that's the government, so...