Walkman chic

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
PXL2000.jpg

tryptych

waiting for a time
On the topic of cassette DJing, if you haven't seen this you really should...

The Cassette Jockey World Championships:

http://www.post-data.org/cassette/

They only seemed to get as far as doing one in 2003.. dunno what happened to them after that.

From their FAQ:

"What are some of the techniques that competitors used last year?
-- To name a few, CJ Larry made some loop tapes from released recordings and rubbed off parts of
the tape to get different rhythms; CJ Yergy Yelevi removed a tape head from a tape deck, mounted it
on a pencil, and then "scratched" it back and forth over some suspended tape; CJ Howard Stelzer used
some hand-held cassette players with mics and speakers to generate feedback (while using only Billy
Joel tapes for source material); CJ LeDeuce used his four-track to play slow, ambient style washes
mixed with half-speed Lionel Richie; CJ Freakface dressed up in a clown suit, played lots of eurodance
hits, and pumped his fist (and came in third)."

3underscore

Rambler said:
Been using my Sony minidisc for about 3 or 4 years now. Still running good (and I'd like to see the first iPod battery that lasts that long ;) )

Hmm, my six year old, original model recordable version gave up in November. It refused to work, no explaination at all. Wouldn't charge or play. I was gutted.

My brother bought me an ipod when he came back from the US though. i don't use it that much at the moment, to be honest.

bruno

est malade
my dead walkman, which sounded perfect until i dropped it from a height of two metres onto a marble floor. incredibly it survived the fall intact, a testament to the former glory of sony (r.i.p).

sony-dd-1a.jpg

they really thought of everything

sony-dd-2a.jpg

Last edited:

Tweak Head

Minidisc is pretty good - still use it in the car, but I prefer MP3 now. What I really, really don't get though is people still using CD walkmans ... it's too big for a pocket so they have to hold it in their hands, it jogs easily and the CDs are relatively bulky to carry around. Just totally useless. Tape would be better.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I also found MD players to be a bit too fragile, but I am also a chronic breaker of things. I had a sharp one that I dropped once, while I was sitting on a park bench, not a hard fall at all but that was all it took.

I do like the MD format tho, we actually recorded a few tunes on it at one stage when our DAT machine broke and I was quite pleased with the sound.

I also haven't bought an iPod because I don't want to pay so much for something so small, expensive and breakable that can't record, also that thing about the batteries dying is just ridiculous and an eco-nightmare.

These days I have a little sony mp3 discman which is quite satisfying EXCEPT for the lack of scrubbing functionality, really annoying when I'm listening to long single file radio sets. I also like very much that I can play audio CDs on it as well.

Speaking of cassette DJing one of the best I ever heard was Jammer. Driving around in the car listening to old Nasty crew tapes he would do constant rewinds any time he heard a lyric that he felt we needed to hear again with spot on precision and timing, if he had had two of them he could have done turntablist type beat juggling.