The Dawn Chorus

Woebot

this crazy thing!

(fu*** me up though - wee blighter of a blackbird stands on top of our house - outside our window and sings his wee heart out - wakes me up all the time)

Client Eastwood

I've got the same thing. Big tree in the backyard and a blackbird sits on the highest point of the tree and sings his song. Like you say sometimes its great and sometimes its well annoying at 4.30 in the morning. I much prefer the evening songs, sitting in the garden with a cold beer. There loads of birds, I should really try to identify them.

There's also a couple of wood pigeons who are always chilling together. Bless.

luka

you should learn to identify them, in a london garden you can easily learn the names of all the birds that visit. only took me a few weeks to learn all the common visitors to sydney gardens. should always make an effort to engage with that stuff i reckon....

Client Eastwood

you should learn to identify them, in a london garden you can easily learn the names of all the birds that visit. only took me a few weeks to learn all the common visitors to sydney gardens. should always make an effort to engage with that stuff i reckon....

You're right, its really relaxing to spend half an hour just listening in and I guess knowing which song is whose will add to the experience. Ta for link Lichen.

jenks

thread death
We just bought a tent and part of the dry run was putting it up in the back garden so the kids could get used to it - i have slept out there for the past four nights with them and this morning's dawn chorus was monumental - about 4.05 it kicked off and was really impressive and I only live in Essex, not some rural idyll - reckon there were mainly blackbirds, a few thrushes and something I just could not identify. Certainly beat the two crows who decided to have a soundclash at 5 yesterday morning!

D

droid

Antone ever looked at WAVs of Birdsong recordings? Unnaturally perfect and identical almost everytime.

polystyle

Similar situation here , some birds that strike up in the evening,
some others that sing in the morning.
Robins, Blue jays, morning doves and more.
Always like to hear it , even if as simple ambient energy.

Much better then the 'recycle day' cans in big bags being thrown to curb at 6 AM, or the deep sigh of air brakes on the unidentified truck idling on the loop road at 7 AM.

The crow mob chasing the hawks around get me to the windows almost every time...

I've spent some time recording birds over the last few months. Nothing fancy or serious, basically just getting up really early and going for a walk with a recorder, it's fun. By doing this I noticed how very noisy our surroundings are. I live in a small town and when I go out in the fields or woods on a sunday morning at 4:30 I certainly don't see any other human beings around, but listening to to the world through a mic and headphones reveals that there's a nearly permanent faraway grey drone of cars, train or planes somewhere.