Mental Arithmetic

martin

----
I can add/subtract/multiply/divide, but the rest gives me a headache. I have to use paper and pen for percentages, and have to do long division to work them out, I can't do them in my head. In fact, I've even phoned up a mate to help me calculate a total.

As for pi and cosine, forget it, I'd switched off by then. I hated maths at school, but then the teacher was a bastard. And I always check my change, cos for the past 10 years I seem to have become a magnet for those old 5p coins (the 1980s ones that are just about current 10p sized)

luka

i never use a till at work to check change cos i always press the wrong buttons and fuck it up so ive been doing it all in my head for years. i never make a mistake and im shit at maths. basic maths is just remembering patterns. so yeah, thats pretty fucked up. they might have been retards so good on the cake shop for having enlightened values and employing them.

luka

but having said that i dont trust people that check their change. its a bit weird and petty. its like referring errors, they balance out int he end. suck it up.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I can add/subtract/multiply/divide, but the rest gives me a headache. I have to use paper and pen for percentages, and have to do long division to work them out, I can't do them in my head. In fact, I've even phoned up a mate to help me calculate a total.

As for pi and cosine, forget it, I'd switched off by then. I hated maths at school, but then the teacher was a bastard. And I always check my change, cos for the past 10 years I seem to have become a magnet for those old 5p coins (the 1980s ones that are just about current 10p sized)

What kind of percentages are we talking? Because if you can divide well enough, then most general percentages should be OK.

Circumferences and triangles etc I guess are useful for home improvement stuff, but otherwise practically of little use. As with most maths. It's just the mental arithmetic that seems imperative - else how does anyone know if they're being ripped off/the value of what they earn etc etc?

woops

is not like other people
I wonder sometimes whether number concept is innate in some people and with the number of musicians on this board - is there any truth in the much paraded trope about the relationship between maths and music?

I've heard that the only three areas in which it's possible to be a genuine child prodigy are music, maths and chess.

PeteUM

It's all grist
I care a little too much about spelling and grammar, but maths is a world of pain for me. I can't do subtraction. In fact anything towards the maths/science side of the curriculum further than say, geography, is like Mordor for me.

I just google it these days, on my blackberry if necessary, quicker than using a calculator, was able to work out it was 5.25 without resorting to that this time tho. But at school, maths was my achilles heel.

I spotted a whopping error our accountant made last month in our cashflow forecast - dozy bastard had gross profit margin calculation arse backwards. That's a worry.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I spotted a whopping error our accountant made last month in our cashflow forecast - dozy bastard had gross profit margin calculation arse backwards. That's a worry."
Her Majesty's Government's accountants can't get their sums right - that's a worry for us all but not a big surprise to be honest. They're never gonna reduce the defiict.