Klaus Dinger's Drumkit?

Woebot

connect_icut

I don't know if this is true but I'd suggest that Dinger's sound had a lot to with the way recording engineers in the '70s liked to mic drum kits. He had that really nice muted '70s sound.

Kate Mossad

There's a few clear shots of Thomas Dinger playing with Neu! in 1974 here, so perhaps a different kit.

Looks like it could be TAMA but that's just a guess/hunch. Why don't you ask Michael Rother?

Last edited:

bb_rebozo

.._......
I don't know if this is true but I'd suggest that Dinger's sound had a lot to with the way recording engineers in the '70s liked to mic drum kits. He had that really nice muted '70s sound.
good point. 70s might be the heyday of perfect drum miking + mixing. "they spent 2 days to find the right mic-position for a snare drum."

i think dinger saw himself first as guitarist, later as composer and guru, and didn't give a shite on drum gear. not the kind of guy who talks about zildjian cymbal sizes and do workshops at music stores. he got "die lange gerade" (long straight line) in his gene flow, so any drumkit was welcome.

even doubt that rother can remember dinger's drumkit set up. but i am sure some audio-überfreaks can tell by listening what's it all about.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
A late addition:

Was flicking through Black Dog's Krautrock book whilst on bog earlier and that has a picture of Dinger playing drums.

Top down pic though, which is probably of no use.

Oh, and it's in the la Dusseldorf section.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Are there no visible badges on any of the shells? As hint said, you can basically work out what it is with these. Just the basic shape of them would go a long way. Same with the shape of the lugs. Btw, whats the book called?

massrock

Viz Top Tip - Want to replicate Klaus Dinger of The Neu's distinctive early 1970s drum sound? Just hire Teutonic production maestro Conny Plank to engineer your session.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Are there no visible badges on any of the shells? As hint said, you can basically work out what it is with these. Just the basic shape of them would go a long way. Same with the shape of the lugs. Btw, whats the book called?

Nothing visible to my non-drum educated eye.
Book is this