Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bubbling

Quote Originally Posted by bandshell View Post
    hardstyle
    yeah innit

so good

It will be not long before urban dance music crew will suddenly start thinking it's cool to dig hardstyle/gabber

Default bubbeling

African Forest, no.

DJ Chuckie (nowadays), Afrojack, Dutch House, kind of.

Anti-G, De Schurrmann, DJ Daycard, DJ Master D, DJ Master Q, DJ Shaun D, the newer sound.

DJ Moortje, the godfather of it all. He played a Cutty Ranks 12" at 45 by accident back in 1988 and the crowd loved it. Then came the drums, which are derived from tambu, an Afro-Curacaoan music. Somewhat like the Netherlands version of jungle in a way, in the 90s at least. It was very heavy on the DMC DJ battle aspect too, dancing included

It is music made by Curacao and Suriname immigrants in the Netherlands for the most part (Moortje is from Curacao, Chuckie I believe from Suriname), but with the makeup of the Netherlands it is also made by Dominican Rep and Turkish immigrants as well. Turkish bubbling is like a whole different world.

It's one of the most interesting genres of music I've ever stumbled upon and with Anti-G and all these cats nowadays it still remains very interesting. When "Dutch House" came about it seemed like most DJs were kind of giving up on bubbling to be more successful and play bigger raves, though the music still often had the same drums.

Glad someone started this thread, I'll share some tunes old and new and some dope videos. I've definitely posted up a bunch of stuff on zee blog, I recommend definitely checking out the classic stuff like DJ Moortje "Money" and Flexmann - "Dill Dill Dill" and some of the battle tracks along with the newer cats.

So bubbling isn't a new thing at all... It also changes my view of music world as I'v always thought (black) urban dance music is just US and UK thing. It makes thinking that what else similar styles there have been going on.

Though weren't the first gabber djs black, ex-hiphop djs? I'v even heard a story that gabber parties had skinheads attending, but there was so much strobo and smoke that they couldn't see who was playing, and when the rave was over the dj would exit via backdoor. Does anybody know was this really the case?

Quote Originally Posted by gremino View Post
    It will be not long before urban dance music crew will suddenly start thinking it's cool to dig hardstyle/gabber
    Don't get it twisted, I was hanging out in Rotterdam with all the original key players back in 1991, I'm no bandwagon jumper.

(x a further 50)

Default bubbeling

the Anti-G, Master D ect sound is definitely newer, but bubbling itself was birthed in like 1988

so yeah it's been around for a minute

miss u, juke thread

Discovered this genre recently thanks to Dave Quam’s blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Aww Nein View Post
    in a way has a lot more in common with a lot of stuff zomby does with synths
    Yes, it’s pretty obvious in this CrazyShit:

Download it + some of his tracks here.
    Last edited by synaptic; 28-06-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentative Andy View Post
    Don't get it twisted, I was hanging out in Rotterdam with all the original key players back in 1991, I'm no bandwagon jumper.

(x a further 50)
    Whatever. (though you do have a great experience there )

I just find it annoying when urban heads are always sniffing at hard house/hardstyle/gabber. Tbh trance hate is boring too.

talking of hardstyle/hardcore/gabber, anything by Marc Acardipane is pretty immense... his best of double cd with about 30 different alias' is one of my tops. as is this track, with oddly has this thing of keeping some of the best bits of idm (the weird skittery middle 8) whilst being utterly raw (like some of this bubbling stuff...)

for more of this check the gloomcore thread...

Quote Originally Posted by gremino View Post
    I just find it annoying when urban heads are always sniffing at hard house/hardstyle/gabber. Tbh trance hate is boring too.
    Yeah, I know what you mean.
    The vast majority of gabba and hardstyle just isn't my kind of thing, but I have no disrespect towards it. It's a very distinctive style of dance music which has its own strong tradition, and the people who make and listen to it obv care a great deal about it. And although the rate of evolution in it does seem slower comapred to UK styles, its obviously been innovative at various points.
    I do remember quite enjoying some 'jumpstyle', though I only ever heard a few examples of it.
    As for trance, I don't reckon I dislike it so much as I just almost never listen to it. It's just off my radar, y'know.

my journey into electronic music started with trance and other kinds of eurocheese so it's always been there in the back of my mind. the strong hatred of it irks me. some of it's .

i digress

goes offffffffff

here's a 320
    Last edited by Ory; 30-06-2010 at 11:14 PM.

producer DJ Shaun-D in the mix >

Default bubbling

Yeah that Master D track is amazing. There are a handful of tracks like that, straight up drum tracks. DJ Chuckie's "Caribbean Drumz" is a big one too.

I'm definitely not into gabber, hard style, and well most "Dutch house". Gabber especially I think i's pretty annoying. Some older/classic type stuff is sort of interesting I guess, but generally I just don't like it. Just me tho. Definitely a different world than bubbling, though there have been overlaps (there are also some Moortje tracks that are straight up jungle)