Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bubbling

uploaded yesterday >

Wow that's cold. Loving that acoustics.

Absolutely loving this sound recently, anyone who could fill me in on the history and culture of the scene would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Bunj View Post
    anyone who could fill me in on the history and culture of the scene would be much appreciated
    Don't know to much about the history and scene in depth.... but enough about the culture.
    I lived in Holland for 13 years and I recall going to bubbling parties from as early as 1996. At first I went there alone by accident when I was off my tits on pills and was looking for a night out then I started dating a Surinams woman who use to attend them regularly so I attended quiet a lot of events. Where I lived in Amsterdam South East(Kraaiennest) back then was mainly an immigrant area and pretty run down (it was the same area that the Israeli jet crashed into the tower block) I did stick out like a sore thumb being white as fuck but people were cool once they got to know your face. There would be some good stuff going on there on a regular basis due to the local government pumping money into community improvement schemes. Over summer they would get funding to do street parties and festivals and there would be a lot of Bubbling/Hip Hop/Reggae parties and even back then 'bubbling' was big.

[edit] got to stop typing and get to work , will finish this at a later point.

The Hague 1988, a Curacaoan-born DJ by the name of Moortje (Dutch for
    "blackie") was spinning Caribbean records at a party at Club Voltage
    when by accident a 33 rpm 12" was played at 45. Rather than the crowd
    frowning at the Cutty Ranks record sounding like Mickey Mouse, the
    dance floor exploded. This is the myth behind the birth of bubbling,
    the genre responsible for the unique sound of current Dutch house.
    Moortje went with the sound he had mistakenly created, and added a
    drum pattern based on traditional tambu drum music from Curacao.
    "Neddereggaeton" being one of the nicknames for Dem Bow's cousin, and
    Jamaican records at half and double time had become localized to the
    Antillean communities in the Netherlands. "Some say it first was an
    expression of hidden protest, born in the Antillean youth culture."
    (to quote an old Dutch article). Along with the producers were MCs
    Pret and Pester, who would rap of government and oppression of
    immigrants while Moortje manned the decks. The music remained popular
    throughout the 90s, but naturally parties became engrossed with
    reggaeton and jungle as well. Once the 2000s hit, house music became
    the party favorite with former bubbling DJs like DJ Chuckie keeping
    the same drums and bringing them to the rave. So-called "Dutch house"
    took over, but bubbling remains in the underground, with young
    producers of Curacaoan, Surinamese, and Dominican backgrounds keeping
    the sound alive using bootleg computer software.

That's how I explained it once

proud to announce planet mu has signed Anti-G a/k/a Kentje'sz Beatsz for a double-pack later in the year

Quote Originally Posted by soul_pill View Post
    proud to announce planet mu has signed Anti-G a/k/a Kentje'sz Beatsz for a double-pack later in the year
    Good news.

Quote Originally Posted by soul_pill View Post

planet mu has signed Anti-G a/k/a Kentje'sz Beatsz for a double-pack later in the year

very very good news

this stuff sounds like the mutant child of juke, grime & funky to me

The sparseness is such a refreshing contrast to current post Dubstep House trends

At a party in the late 80s in The Hague, a local DJ by the name of DJ Moortje accidentally dropped a dancehall twelve-inch at 45RPMs, causing chaos in the audience. Not the kind of negative heckling you get when a record is skipped, but the kind of excitement that happens when a movement has been started. This beautiful mistake resulted in Bubbling, a cultural expression of immigrants from The Dutch Antilles and Suriname, a genre that would take these communities by storm in Holland in the 1990s. Jamaican exports such as the Fever Pitch and Bam Bam riddims were double and half-timed, with Cutty Ranks on one hand sounding like a prepubescent chipmunk, the other hand sounding like an evil duppy. Its sound borrowed slave rhythms from Curacao (DJ Moortjeís origin), creating a new Caribbean style of music in Europe that ran parallel to Londonís Jungle scene.

This excitement eventually died down in The Netherlands, and Dutch House became the dominant genre in the late 2000s. There was more money to be made, and bigger parties to be played when your music didnít consist of pitched up dancehall, and bubbling became reserved exclusively for the black and Latin crowds, especially teenagers. However, House in Holland was littered with Caribbean influence, and eventually a new generation of DJs would pioneer a new sound, known as Bubbling House. A group of cousins, DJís Shaun-D, Master-D, Daycard, and Deschuurman who loved Dutch House but couldnít shake their traditions created a new sound, with hyper Fruity Loop synths over pitched up Dem Bow drums. The sound could be found all over Youtube and regional social media sites, the same way the rest of the global youth were distributing their music from Chicago to Luanda.

Anti-G a.k.a. Kentje'sz Beatsz, an 18-year-old producer from the Dutch city of Delft is of the current Bubbling House generation, but his music often stabs at other realms. Like many of his peers, he takes in the popular styles of the black and Latin communities of Holland: Bubbling, Reggaeton, Dutch and American Hip-Hop, and House, and loads those influence into Fruity Loops on his PC. This often results in all of those genres crammed into 3 minutes of audio, though occasionally he singles one out. The atmosphere is cold and industrial, not-unlike the sound created by UK Grime producers, but with polyrhythms that swing like Funky House. His tracks often canít decide if theyíre for a rave or a rap show, but in the end sound like the soundtrack for someone getting stabbed in space.

Anti-G Presents 'Kentje'sz Beatsz' is a collection of material made between 2009 and 2010, showing all of the faces of his work. Bubbling Cause Trouble and Crack The Glass! tap into the current club scene of Holland, while tracks such as Reggaeton Man! are his own mutant Dem Bow riddims. Itís a trip through Dutch social networking sites such as Hyves, and an example of the experimentation brewing with the current digital youth of the Surinamese and Antillean communities of The Netherlands. These drums may come from the Caribbean, but the synths belong on a space station.

[Dave Quam 2011]

anti-g makes me want to stop making music. he's so next level it's not even funny

Been listening to this stuff today. Anti G makes some amazing stuff. Can't wait for the album now.