Bubbling

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Don't get it twisted, I was hanging out in Rotterdam with all the original key players back in 1991, I'm no bandwagon jumper.

;);););););) (x a further 50)

Whatever. (though you do have a great experience there :D )

I just find it annoying when urban heads are always sniffing at hard house/hardstyle/gabber. Tbh trance hate is boring too.

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
talking of hardstyle/hardcore/gabber, anything by Marc Acardipane is pretty immense... his best of double cd with about 30 different alias' is one of my tops. as is this track, with oddly has this thing of keeping some of the best bits of idm (the weird skittery middle 8) whilst being utterly raw (like some of this bubbling stuff...)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

for more of this check the gloomcore thread...

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I just find it annoying when urban heads are always sniffing at hard house/hardstyle/gabber. Tbh trance hate is boring too.

Yeah, I know what you mean.
The vast majority of gabba and hardstyle just isn't my kind of thing, but I have no disrespect towards it. It's a very distinctive style of dance music which has its own strong tradition, and the people who make and listen to it obv care a great deal about it. And although the rate of evolution in it does seem slower comapred to UK styles, its obviously been innovative at various points.
I do remember quite enjoying some 'jumpstyle', though I only ever heard a few examples of it.
As for trance, I don't reckon I dislike it so much as I just almost never listen to it. It's just off my radar, y'know.

Ory

warp drive
my journey into electronic music started with trance and other kinds of eurocheese so it's always been there in the back of my mind. the strong hatred of it irks me. some of it's really quite good.

i digress

Ory

warp drive
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

goes offffffffff

here's a 320

Last edited:

dave quam

bubbling

Yeah that Master D track is amazing. There are a handful of tracks like that, straight up drum tracks. DJ Chuckie's "Caribbean Drumz" is a big one too.

I'm definitely not into gabber, hard style, and well most "Dutch house". Gabber especially I think i's pretty annoying. Some older/classic type stuff is sort of interesting I guess, but generally I just don't like it. Just me tho. Definitely a different world than bubbling, though there have been overlaps (there are also some Moortje tracks that are straight up jungle)

Ory

warp drive

Bunj

Absolutely loving this sound recently, anyone who could fill me in on the history and culture of the scene would be much appreciated

jjshite

anyone who could fill me in on the history and culture of the scene would be much appreciated

Don't know to much about the history and scene in depth.... but enough about the culture.
I lived in Holland for 13 years and I recall going to bubbling parties from as early as 1996. At first I went there alone by accident when I was off my tits on pills and was looking for a night out then I started dating a Surinams woman who use to attend them regularly so I attended quiet a lot of events. Where I lived in Amsterdam South East(Kraaiennest) back then was mainly an immigrant area and pretty run down (it was the same area that the Israeli jet crashed into the tower block) I did stick out like a sore thumb being white as fuck but people were cool once they got to know your face. There would be some good stuff going on there on a regular basis due to the local government pumping money into community improvement schemes. Over summer they would get funding to do street parties and festivals and there would be a lot of Bubbling/Hip Hop/Reggae parties and even back then 'bubbling' was big.

[edit] got to stop typing and get to work , will finish this at a later point.

dave quam

The Hague 1988, a Curacaoan-born DJ by the name of Moortje (Dutch for
"blackie") was spinning Caribbean records at a party at Club Voltage
when by accident a 33 rpm 12" was played at 45. Rather than the crowd
frowning at the Cutty Ranks record sounding like Mickey Mouse, the
dance floor exploded. This is the myth behind the birth of bubbling,
the genre responsible for the unique sound of current Dutch house.
Moortje went with the sound he had mistakenly created, and added a
drum pattern based on traditional tambu drum music from Curacao.
"Neddereggaeton" being one of the nicknames for Dem Bow's cousin, and
Jamaican records at half and double time had become localized to the
Antillean communities in the Netherlands. "Some say it first was an
expression of hidden protest, born in the Antillean youth culture."
(to quote an old Dutch article). Along with the producers were MCs
Pret and Pester, who would rap of government and oppression of
immigrants while Moortje manned the decks. The music remained popular
throughout the 90s, but naturally parties became engrossed with
reggaeton and jungle as well. Once the 2000s hit, house music became
the party favorite with former bubbling DJs like DJ Chuckie keeping
the same drums and bringing them to the rave. So-called "Dutch house"
took over, but bubbling remains in the underground, with young
producers of Curacaoan, Surinamese, and Dominican backgrounds keeping
the sound alive using bootleg computer software.

That's how I explained it once

soul_pill

proud to announce planet mu has signed Anti-G a/k/a Kentje'sz Beatsz for a double-pack later in the year

wise

bare BARE BONES
this stuff sounds like the mutant child of juke, grime & funky to me :D

The sparseness is such a refreshing contrast to current post Dubstep House trends