Bubbling

Ory

warp drive
there's been a bit of buzz about this new mutant house variant coming out of the netherlands. the drums are in that percussive middleground between uk funky, kuduro, reggaeton, s.a. house and god knows what else. some of the synths sound straight out of grime, while others go for the high-pitched portamento'd-to-fuck style that's been the trend in central europe in recent years. personally the sheer menace of a lot of this stuff reminds of gloomcore.

check boomnoise's minimix:
most of the tracks are by these guys:

http://boomr.nl/deschuurman
http://boomr.nl/djmasterq
http://boomr.nl/antig2
http://boomr.nl/djdaycard

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
does this have anything to do with this Rishi Romero Tune African Forest which we have been playing and has been blowing my mind since the Circle lot started playing it? kinda like Plastikman meets soca.

alex

Do not read this.
Think my friend ricky has got some good examples of this sound, Ory do you like much 'Dutch' (well that's how I would catagorise it anyway) house?

grizzleb

Sounds pretty cool. I wish I had the means to investigate yet another regional dance music that sounds like it could throw up some crackers.

muser

i thought bubbling was the sped up ragga thing from Holland, is this related? Sounds interesting though will check it out.

Boomnoise put me onto this stuff a couple of months ago, some really incredible stuff out there but you really need to search for it. Lots of mediocre tracks about, mind.

Good luck getting the tunes though, it's very difficult.

polystyle

Thanks Oryx , Blackdown and all
Anti G's cut has an interesting sonic ...
also like how that Rishi Romero African Forest cut opens the beat up after awhile into something a little more then the usual, expected.
And yeah the bit reductionist starkness ala what was good about Plastikman.

Evolutions >>>

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
those first two tracks 0ry posted sound really interesting, the synths do seem more gloomcore then grimey i think mainly because of the reverb that seems to be put on them, really icy and flat, where as grime seems to be a lot more pixelated and dry. in a way has a lot more in common with a lot of stuff zomby does with synths. the rhythms however seem like they can go from being funky to almost idm levels of broken complexity.

i check out a lot of things that dave guam posted on his blog, couldnt quite find out whats the scenes centred around though, seems to incorporate some relatively "normal" stuff as well as completly aggrssive breakcore level battle tracks...

Ory

warp drive
hardstyle

yeah innit

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

so good

gremino

Moster Sirphine
It will be not long before urban dance music crew will suddenly start thinking it's cool to dig hardstyle/gabber ;)

dave quam

bubbeling

African Forest, no.

DJ Chuckie (nowadays), Afrojack, Dutch House, kind of.

Anti-G, De Schurrmann, DJ Daycard, DJ Master D, DJ Master Q, DJ Shaun D, the newer sound.

DJ Moortje, the godfather of it all. He played a Cutty Ranks 12" at 45 by accident back in 1988 and the crowd loved it. Then came the drums, which are derived from tambu, an Afro-Curacaoan music. Somewhat like the Netherlands version of jungle in a way, in the 90s at least. It was very heavy on the DMC DJ battle aspect too, dancing included
It is music made by Curacao and Suriname immigrants in the Netherlands for the most part (Moortje is from Curacao, Chuckie I believe from Suriname), but with the makeup of the Netherlands it is also made by Dominican Rep and Turkish immigrants as well. Turkish bubbling is like a whole different world.

It's one of the most interesting genres of music I've ever stumbled upon and with Anti-G and all these cats nowadays it still remains very interesting. When "Dutch House" came about it seemed like most DJs were kind of giving up on bubbling to be more successful and play bigger raves, though the music still often had the same drums.

Glad someone started this thread, I'll share some tunes old and new and some dope videos. I've definitely posted up a bunch of stuff on zee blog, I recommend definitely checking out the classic stuff like DJ Moortje "Money" and Flexmann - "Dill Dill Dill" and some of the battle tracks along with the newer cats.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
So bubbling isn't a new thing at all... It also changes my view of music world as I'v always thought (black) urban dance music is just US and UK thing. It makes thinking that what else similar styles there have been going on.

Though weren't the first gabber djs black, ex-hiphop djs? I'v even heard a story that gabber parties had skinheads attending, but there was so much strobo and smoke that they couldn't see who was playing, and when the rave was over the dj would exit via backdoor. Does anybody know was this really the case?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
It will be not long before urban dance music crew will suddenly start thinking it's cool to dig hardstyle/gabber ;)

Don't get it twisted, I was hanging out in Rotterdam with all the original key players back in 1991, I'm no bandwagon jumper.

;);););););) (x a further 50)

dave quam

bubbeling

the Anti-G, Master D ect sound is definitely newer, but bubbling itself was birthed in like 1988

so yeah it's been around for a minute