Bubbling

soul_pill

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="musicplayer" name="musicplayer" swliveconnect="true" wmode="transparent" data="http://www.planet.mu/include/player.swf" height="382" width="382">
<param name="swLiveConnect" value="true">
<param name="wmode" value="transparent">
<param name="flashvars" value="no=ZIQ301"></object>

At a party in the late 80s in The Hague, a local DJ by the name of DJ Moortje accidentally dropped a dancehall twelve-inch at 45RPMs, causing chaos in the audience. Not the kind of negative heckling you get when a record is skipped, but the kind of excitement that happens when a movement has been started. This beautiful mistake resulted in Bubbling, a cultural expression of immigrants from The Dutch Antilles and Suriname, a genre that would take these communities by storm in Holland in the 1990s. Jamaican exports such as the Fever Pitch and Bam Bam riddims were double and half-timed, with Cutty Ranks on one hand sounding like a prepubescent chipmunk, the other hand sounding like an evil duppy. Its sound borrowed slave rhythms from Curacao (DJ Moortje’s origin), creating a new Caribbean style of music in Europe that ran parallel to London’s Jungle scene.

This excitement eventually died down in The Netherlands, and Dutch House became the dominant genre in the late 2000s. There was more money to be made, and bigger parties to be played when your music didn’t consist of pitched up dancehall, and bubbling became reserved exclusively for the black and Latin crowds, especially teenagers. However, House in Holland was littered with Caribbean influence, and eventually a new generation of DJs would pioneer a new sound, known as Bubbling House. A group of cousins, DJ’s Shaun-D, Master-D, Daycard, and Deschuurman who loved Dutch House but couldn’t shake their traditions created a new sound, with hyper Fruity Loop synths over pitched up Dem Bow drums. The sound could be found all over Youtube and regional social media sites, the same way the rest of the global youth were distributing their music from Chicago to Luanda.

Anti-G a.k.a. Kentje'sz Beatsz, an 18-year-old producer from the Dutch city of Delft is of the current Bubbling House generation, but his music often stabs at other realms. Like many of his peers, he takes in the popular styles of the black and Latin communities of Holland: Bubbling, Reggaeton, Dutch and American Hip-Hop, and House, and loads those influence into Fruity Loops on his PC. This often results in all of those genres crammed into 3 minutes of audio, though occasionally he singles one out. The atmosphere is cold and industrial, not-unlike the sound created by UK Grime producers, but with polyrhythms that swing like Funky House. His tracks often can’t decide if they’re for a rave or a rap show, but in the end sound like the soundtrack for someone getting stabbed in space.

Anti-G Presents 'Kentje'sz Beatsz' is a collection of material made between 2009 and 2010, showing all of the faces of his work. Bubbling Cause Trouble and Crack The Glass! tap into the current club scene of Holland, while tracks such as Reggaeton Man! are his own mutant Dem Bow riddims. It’s a trip through Dutch social networking sites such as Hyves, and an example of the experimentation brewing with the current digital youth of the Surinamese and Antillean communities of The Netherlands. These drums may come from the Caribbean, but the synths belong on a space station.

[Dave Quam 2011]

Phaedo

Been listening to this stuff today. Anti G makes some amazing stuff. Can't wait for the album now.

Ory

warp drive
<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

dave quam

just to be clear, Anti-G is definitely in his own world, a total outsider/just a kid on the internet. Def not a great representation of bubbling, just weird/dope music. His stuff definitely has a lot in common with bubbling house, which is what guys like de schuurman and dj shaun-d make...sort of the gap between bubbling and dutch house, but Anti-G is way more bent, less dance floor friendly.

FYI, bubbling is basically dead in the NLs, and it has been for a while. Dutch House took over and unfortunately the chipmunk reggae disappeared. There are still some people making it, but most of these people are doing the bubbling house thing, which sometimes can be really interesting, and sometimes way too dutch housey for my tastes. Almost no one is making the old moortje/battle style, though I have talked to some cat who want to bring it back. According to De Schuurman, some young Antillean and Surinamese kids (14-16) still party to bubbling though, but nobody older. So it's state of being "dead" is kind of weird, and I've had a lot of different answers.

dave quam

and that's funny De Schuurman just sent me that video haha! He wasn't even spinning he just gave his cd to the dj too

denoir

any comps/albums I should look for when browsing through 2nd hand sections of dutch record shops?

dave quam

hmm, I don't think much even came out on vinyl, and there really don't even seem to be that many official releases period. Lots of mixtapes, but yeah I haven't really found much in terms of "real" releases. There are the Bubbling Beats comps that I think were on both vinyl and CD, which have some good stuff on them.

But if you find anything by DJ Moortje, DJ Kenneth, DJ Funk, DJ Memmie, DJ Chippie, or MC Pester, you should buy it.

Ory

warp drive
<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

not in stock at juno. bummer

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/moonbah/364545-01/

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
man boomnoise was playing some tracks off of the anti g (well I hope they are on the album) album last week and I have heard a few previews, they sound excellent.

(Ory I think I may of reported one of your posts by accident)

gumdrops

this stuff is pretty sick. sounds like some of the weirder funky ive heard. can totally imagine marcus nasty playing this. actually, maybe he already is. reminds me of what hes into these days.

the anti g stuff bests (and also reminds me of) a lot of whats going on in the uk. arguably. perhaps. crack the glass is like terror danjah. i cant stop playing this actually.

if this stuff gets more grime/dubstep/funky ppl into gabba, that could be interesting!

not sure about this tho:
"His tracks often can’t decide if they’re for a rave or a rap show, but in the end sound like the soundtrack for someone getting stabbed in space."
that sounds like something a guardian writer would write (love everything else dave quam has written otherwise).

Last edited:

Ory

warp drive
funky DJs have def been playing tracks like this. more on the dutch house side of things, but the jump to bubbling isn't too big so maybe we'll see some crossover with funky.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

dave quam

Ouch not the Guardian! JK

I dunno, I guess I can just imagine myself stabbing someone for some reason? This is the first thing I wrote about the dude.

http://davequam.wordpress.com/2010/04/08/major-taser/

RE: Gabber: That was sort of the enemy of the bubbling scene back in the day according to some people I've talked to. Bubbling dudes hated it, and vice versa. I dunno what that means in 2011, just figured I'd mention it. I can't stand that stuff personally.

I'm gonna pull out some old mixes from my collection and upload them later today.

dave quam

haha yeah MC Pester is a goof, he has some really strange videos.

I forgot, has anybody mentioned the competitive dance aspect of bubbling in this thread?

Just search bubbling battle on Youtube there's some pretty crazy stuff on there uploading by old heads. It's definitely super old school pop lock style stuff because the whole scene pretty much died around 2004, but I love it ether way. A lot of weird versions of Jamaican dances like the Bogel done to mickey mouse music.

Leo

might be fun to hear one of these tracks in a club, but i can't imagine sitting through an entire cd of this stuff at home.

i must be getting old... :slanted:

Ory

warp drive
<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/16218175"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/16218175" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="">Kentje'sz Beatsz - La Duro Sonido (Bubbling 2011)</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/kentjje">Kentjjee</a></span>