Increasing Physical Energy Levels

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Funny though! I'm goiing to go to the bathroom now to try and do a one legged squat and fail and fall over.

Easier to just sit on the bowl though, right? Generally less messy too.

While we're at it, what exactly *is* a macrobiotic diet? You only eat large organisms, or something? I could go with that... *eyes up rhino steak*

Client Eastwood

Bump and . . .

I've recently tried moved to a vegetarian diet over the last couple of month, but I never ate a lot of meat anyway, chicken or fish a couple of times a week and I've found that I'm tired a lot more. So it could be diet related tho' I doubt it.

I went to Holland and Barrett to see if they could suggest anything and have been trying some ginseng which seems to help. Has anyone had any experience of using any herbal remedies for fatigue or general lull ness ?

alex

Do not read this.
I know this going to sound a bit silly but a cold shower always does the trick if I wake up feeling groggy.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Bump and . . .

I've recently tried moved to a vegetarian diet over the last couple of month, but I never ate a lot of meat anyway, chicken or fish a couple of times a week and I've found that I'm tired a lot more. So it could be diet related tho' I doubt it.

Would sem a bit of an odd coincidence if it's come at the same time as changing diet though? Eat more lentils!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Bump and . . .

I went to Holland and Barrett to see if they could suggest anything and have been trying some ginseng which seems to help. Has anyone had any experience of using any herbal remedies for fatigue or general lull ness ?

When you first go veggie you tend to be really hungry alot of the time - or I was - which means you eat alot of carbs, check what you're eating and make sure your protein and iron intake is good - and don't supplement through vitamin pills, just in your diet. You have to be a bit more concientious. Sorry if you know all this already.

If you're really tired it's probably vitamin D, do a check up at the doctor and they can get you supplements there, or make sure you get in the sun as much as possible. Loads of people in the UK are D deficient.

Client Eastwood

I get through loads of lentils/peas/beans in the form of daal as Mrs D is a veggie. Love that stuff in all its forms. There's so much you can do with them like kofta, dosa, tikki. Im guessing im getting the protein I need.

But like Mr Sloane says im eating more carbs and they do make me feel tired after a meal. I'll chase up the vitamin D link so thanks for that.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I get through loads of lentils/peas/beans in the form of daal as Mrs D is a veggie. Love that stuff in all its forms. There's so much you can do with them like kofta, dosa, tikki. Im guessing im getting the protein I need.

But like Mr Sloane says im eating more carbs and they do make me feel tired after a meal. I'll chase up the vitamin D link so thanks for that.

I'd be surprised if it's not a combination of those, don't buy the vitamin D pills at a chemist though, they're rubbish; doctors have ones that are mega and will be in the doses you may need. Only know all of this cos a mate has been tired for months and just went to the doc and got told, so just relaying the info.

zhao

there are no accidents
eat less and eat right.

our bodies need a fraction of the amount of food in a normal diet. about the size of a fist a day is what i have heard, in terms of protein like the tip of your thumb. 99% of the shit we eat only slow us down.

of course the effects will only start to show after maybe a couple weeks, and become more and more apparent as your body purges all the bullshit out the system and transition to new program.

that or do a bump of meth that'll pick you right up too.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I have a problem. I'm basically tired all the time while at work. Like, falling-asleep tired. I eat OK, I'm not an alcoholic or a junky, get plenty of sleep, I've even joined a gym. I think a big part of the problem is that desk jobs, even nominally 'interesting' ones, inevitably suck out all your vital forces over time. It's just that some people have a naturally greater resistance to this than others.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
After all of these years I have come to the conclusion that the only real reasons behind this are:

1) You are bored (or at least un-enthused) by your life. You can try to hide or hide from this but your body knows. It has been like this for most of mine.

2) Some people naturally have more energy than other people. I may be as inspired and wired as I have ever been but I will never match (say) Margaret Thatcher's pace.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
After all of these years I have come to the conclusion that the only real reasons behind this are:

1) You are bored (or at least un-enthused) by your life. You can try to hide or hide from this but your body knows. It has been like this for most of mine.

2) Some people naturally have more energy than other people. I may be as inspired and wired as I have ever been but I will never match (say) Margaret Thatcher's pace.

(2) - That's because she was driven on by the demons of hell. And they have a lot of energy.
(1) - I don't think that's necessarily true; desk jobs are horrendously soul-sucking and entirely unnatural. Also, doing the same thing month after month is counter-intuitive in terms of keeping interest alive: routine kills.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think it's option 1, I mean I have plenty of energy for the things I like doing. I just find it very, very hard to muster the energy for things that don't particularly interest me, which unfortunately is most things I'm qualified to do that someone might conceivably pay me for. It's my own fault, I should have been an academic really but I blew that chance years ago. Even then, the shitty (until you get pretty senior within an establishment/publish a popular book) pay and almost negative job security don't make that a particularly appealing career choice these days unless you are so driven by your field you don't really care about anything else.

I can write, sort of, and I enjoy it. Trouble is, everyone and his dog fancies himself a writer these days. I should write a kids' book, that's where the money is. Well, that and unrealistic BDSM grot for housewives. *shudder*

Edit: sorry, I guess this belongs in the jobs etc. thread.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
That's how I felt about it. I deliberately chose not to join academia, because I didn't want a luke-warm life pottering around Early Modern studies dating pale girls with spots and glasses.

Alas, how rash I was in the first flush of youth.

craner

Beast of Burden
Mr Tea, last I heard you were earning loads of money writing algorithms in Norway and dating a girl with a PhD in David Jones. I can't see what you're moaning about.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Mr Tea, last I heard you were earning loads of money writing algorithms in Norway and dating a girl with a PhD in David Jones. I can't see what you're moaning about.

Haha...well, part of that is still true (the girlfriend part). The earning-loads-of-money part was, to an extent, true. I was in the Netherlands, which is a lot less scenic than Norway. I'm now earning rather less (though still doing OK, I suppose) and living in Oxford, which is also a lot more scenic than the (part of the) Netherlands (I was living in).

I'm just having a whinge really, I mean there are many, many worse jobs I could be doing, and not having a job has lost whatever appeal it may once have held. I'm just not using any of the bits of my brain that are fun to use. Things are dandy otherwise.

Last edited:

luka

i was just standing outside for 11 hours, that was pretty boring, and cold. i want to go to bed now. life is fundamentally boring cos it involves so much repitition.