whats a good reason to be a teacher?

gumdrops

am thinking of changing career paths.
not exactly my 1st choice but one i think i could do.
and not sure what else i could/would want to do really.
but am not 100% positive that i am doing this for the 'right reasons'.
am doing a placement at the moment at a school to see if this is really for me anyway, though saying that seems to hint at not being 100% sure.
so i suppose what im asking is how do you know this is what you want to do?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
"Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym." :D

Nah, I've looked into teaching too. I found out through my University career centre this year that privately funded "summer schools" that parents who treat their kids like some kind of genome project force them to go to will gladly pay you a decent wad to teach there, and you don't even need to have your degree finished!

My friend's Dad was a teacher and it seems pretty great. You work decent hours, you don't have to work on weekends, and you get SUMMER HOLIDAYS OFF.

Oh yeah and you're inspiring and shaping little minds, making a difference, blah blah

What age are you thinking of teaching?

gumdrops

prob primary/juniors. though im not sure how long id be able to do that lol. but theyre cool at that age. quite fun. only thing about teaching is id have to do a year long teaching course. but hey, if thats what it takes, then cool. people keep warning me about the holidays, saying youll take a while to wind down after all the HARD GRUELLING SCHOOL WORK, but i think i can manage it.

don_quixote

Trent End
a good reason to be a teacher is you get to be creative every day, you get to work with interesting different people every day, you get to decide what you do every day and you hopefully get to do something you enjoy everyday

it is a lot of hard work but very satisfying

jenks

thread death
!

My friend's Dad was a teacher and it seems pretty great. You work decent hours, you don't have to work on weekends, and you get SUMMER HOLIDAYS OFF.

QUOTE]

Scuse me while I stop choking - loooong hours Sick Boy, esp for new teachers with Lesson plans, Assessment Foci and Learning Objectives and endless observations (ok maybe not like a medic long hours but it's not 8.30-3.30) and I work every Sunday just to stay on top of things and I've been teaching for twenty years.

However it can be a laugh - I enjoy it and have reached the conclusion that I couldn't do anything else.

Govt interference and mad initiatives (oFSTED fear and frenzy) aside it's a good job for a graduate.

There are a few other teachers on here and Craner was doing a PGCE (dunno if he still is???)

gumdrops

the only thing i worry about is becoming a drone sort of person. if i turned into one of those people who lose touch with the arts or their creative side and thinks/knows only about work, i think i would be dissapointed with myself. but i suppose you do need to be a bit creative as a teacher dont you.

the long hours - though daunting, i think i can take. am used to it, being a bit of a former workaholic.

don_quixote

Trent End
everyday i am creative. coming up with new ideas for learning.

plus you have 6-8 weeks in the summer (is it?) that are all for you.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
prob primary/juniors. though im not sure how long id be able to do that lol. but theyre cool at that age. quite fun..

I agree. I think if I were to teach I could only ever teach little children or adults. Teenagers are ugly and somehow more stupid than either.

Scuse me while I stop choking - loooong hours Sick Boy

hahaha, to be honest, I did just assume that on a basis of my friend never really mentioning his Dad always being at work. Maybe that's because he saw him half the time he was at work (he was a student at the same school his Dad taught at).