Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gays granted asylum

Default Gays granted asylum

Supreme Court judge Lord Rodger said gay people’s right to live freely must be protected.
    He said: “Just as male hetero sexuals are free to enjoy themselves playing rugby, drinking beer and talking about girls with their mates, so male homosexuals are to be free to enjoy themselves going to Kylie concerts, drinking exotically-coloured cocktails and talking about boys with their straight female mates.”

Wow. I feel so free to exist without demeaning prejudicial stereotyping.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    Supreme Court judge Lord Rodger said gay people’s right to live freely must be protected.
    He said: “Just as male hetero sexuals are free to enjoy themselves playing rugby, drinking beer and talking about girls with their mates, so male homosexuals are to be free to enjoy themselves going to Kylie concerts, drinking exotically-coloured cocktails and talking about boys with their straight female mates.”

Wow. I feel so free to exist without demeaning prejudicial stereotyping.
    Are these strictly defined parameters to our freedom? I mean, as a straight man do I have to play rugby? If I went gay to avoid it, would I have to listen to Kylie?

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    Are these strictly defined parameters to our freedom? I mean, as a straight man do I have to play rugby? If I went gay to avoid it, would I have to listen to Kylie?
    Yup, otherwise you'd better get the heck outta Dodge, buddy.

God I was having a good day til I read that. This is progress?

droid Guest

It is progress surely? Isnt this the first time that anyone has been granted asylum because of persecution based on their sexuality?

A typical homosexual, yesterday:

Edit: what about lesbians? Are they presumably granted the universal freedom to play golf, listen to KD Lang and wear dungarees?
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 08-07-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    It is progress surely? Isnt this the first time that anyone has been granted asylum because of persecution based on their sexuality?

Yeah course it's progress, don't get me wrong, it's just the stereotyping that depresses me. It's like one step forward and two steps back.

ed : Actually, it doesn't depress me, it makes me blindly, furiously angry.
    Last edited by mistersloane; 08-07-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    A typical homosexual, yesterday:

Edit: what about lesbians? Are they presumably granted the universal freedom to play golf, listen to KD Lang and wear dungarees?
    Lol never seen that picture before. Lesbians don't count because they still don't officially exist in the UK, do they? Queen Victoria and all that.

droid Guest

Yeah course it's progress, don't get me wrong, it's just the stereotyping that depresses me. It's like one step forward and two steps back.

ed : Actually, it doesn't depress me, it makes me blindly, furiously angry.
    Not to negate your anger/depression, but surely the landmark decision for gay rights overshadows the stupid language of the judge?

Its more like 20 steps forward whilst the officials prattle on about how effeminate your shorts are.

Something to be happy about anyway. I wonder how this will affect JA asylum seekers?

droid Guest

Queen Victoria and all that.
    Methings she doth protest too much - I bet she was a raving vagetarian in her spare time.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

droid Guest

male homosexuals are to be free to enjoy themselves going to Kylie concerts, drinking exotically-coloured cocktails and talking about boys with their straight female mates.”
    I love the idea that one would travel to the UK from some far-away country having been given a load of shit, leaving all your mates and family, go through all the hassles of getting asylum, and then immediately sit down and start doing all these things: 'right then, where's my pineapple margarita...'

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Not the first, although I think grants on the basis are pretty low. the judgement doesn't really say anything about the 'discretion' argument either - that you can go back to a different bit of the country and you know, just be a bit secret about it.

Never fear though - anne widdecombe has a view. vaguely powell-esque, the last line, i thought...http://www.express.co.uk/ourcomments/view/186704

Unbelievable

"It (the asylum system) was not designed to fund economic aspiration or facilitate lifestyles but to save people in real and pressing danger."