Gays granted asylum

sufi

lala
... has anyone got any figures on the actual number of asylum applicants this ruling is likely to affect each year? My guess is that it's probably going to be pretty tiny ...
I'm not sure that info is systematically collected, but if anyone knows it would be UKLGIG.

I guess an FoI request to UKBA will be met with "o sorry we don't record number of claims on the grounds of sexual orientation" - but it might be worth a try, so i've done one :)

did anyone see sorious samura's documentary on 'africa's last taboo' this week? good gear & very timely

sufi

lala
gwarn sufi. really interested to see what this turns up.
fuckall as expected
New Picture (88).jpg

New Picture (7).jpg

New Picture (66).jpg

any more ideas for FoI??????
perhaps if we combine or £600 per request we could bid for liberating some actual information

D

droid

fuckall as expected
New Picture (88).jpg

New Picture (7).jpg

New Picture (66).jpg

any more ideas for FoI??????
perhaps if we combine or £600 per request we could bid for liberating some actual information

They seem to be saying that they dont/cant keep records of each applicants sexual orientation, but you didnt ask for that, you asked them for cases where the grounds for application was persecution based on sexual orentation. It might be worth pointing this out.

Also - just ask them for a years worth of cases. If they say thats still too expensive ask for 6 months and so on. Get other people to make up the shortfall with their own applications. Im sure you could adapt your request into a form letter. Maybe contact one of the Gay rights groups for help?

Last edited by a moderator:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Would they not have a duty with regard to equalities legislation? Maybe asking whether they act in accordance with their duty therein might be another way round it.

Fascinating stuff sufi.

Saw that dispatches on africa and homosexuality, really good programme, thanks for pointing it out.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
They seem to be saying that they dont/cant keep records of each applicants sexual orientation, but you didnt ask for that, you asked them for cases where the grounds for application was persecution based on sexual orentation. It might be worth pointing this out.

Totally brilliant point droid, well spotted, they seem to have totally 'misunderstood' the question.

highhhness

one does
Also - just ask them for a years worth of cases. If they say thats still too expensive ask for 6 months and so on. Get other people to make up the shortfall with their own applications. I'm sure you could adapt your request into a form letter.

they'll say a year or even 6 months exceeds the £600, I think. I think it's roughly 1500 - and at least 1000 - asylum decisions every month. with 15-20% granted, that's potentially around 200 files to audit. Conceivably someone could do that in 3.5 days. I'd happily select a month for my own request - any other takers?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
did anyone see sorious samura's documentary on 'africa's last taboo' this week? good gear & very timely

i'm sure you've already seen it, but the doc with his footage on the Sierra Leone conflict (available on youtube) is both amazing and sickening.

signed the petition and will put it up on facebook.

"Her initial asylum claim was rejected in part on the basis that there was not sufficient evidence that she is a lesbian." Fucking hell.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Signed - though I'm always dubious about the effectiveness of online petitions...

Edit: Jesus, anyone seen this? Ugandan gay-rights activist beaten to death.

Police have confirmed the death of David Kato but say they are investigating the circumstances.

Uganda's Rolling Stone newspaper published the photographs of several people it said were gay next to a headline reading "Hang them".

Unbelievable:

Rolling Stone editor Giles Muhame told Reuters news agency he condemned the murder and that the paper had not wanted gays to be attacked.

"There has been a lot of crime, it may not be because he is gay," he said.

"We want the government to hang people who promote homosexuality, not for the public to attack them."

Oh right, thanks for clearing that up. For a moment there I thought you were a vile bigot.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
(1) Anyone got any examples of online petitions that have had a real effect? Would be interesting to know...

(2) I read too quickly and thought you were talking about the mediocre US rock publication. That was a weird moment.

Samura doc Sufi mentioned is here, for anyone interested.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
(1) Anyone got any examples of online petitions that have had a real effect? Would be interesting to know...

Yeah, I hate to sound cynical and I know it's lovely to feel like you're doing something to help, but I have to wonder if anything that takes that little effort is really going to do much good. Also I don't know if the whole idea of petitions hasn't perhaps been debased a bit by all those hilarious attempts to get 'Jedi' recognised as a religion, Jeremy Clarkson made prime minister, etc. etc.

highhhness

one does
Oh right, thanks for clearing that up. For a moment there I thought you were a vile bigot.

the role of US-based evangelists in the uganda situation - and elsewhere - is particularly pernicious, and a disturbingly globally aware move on their part. Check out The Call:

The Anti-Homosexuality Bill of 2009, introduced last October by parliamentarian David Bahati, had its origins in a March 2009 visit by three anti-gay American evangelists—Scott Lively, Caleb Lee Brundidge, and Don Schmierer—who gave a series of talks and workshops about fighting the “homosexual agenda” and protecting children from being “recruited” to homosexuality. The activists later denied playing a role in the bill’s creation. As documented by Jeff Sharlet, Bahati, who made an appearance at The Call on Sunday, also had strong links to The Family, the powerful network of evangelical elites embedded in the Washington DC political culture.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'

(Maybe NSFW)

This is possibly the greatest video on youtube.
I love how the guy has been doing some "research".

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Anyone else get this email? Maybe I spoke too soon about internet petitions!

Dear Friends,

Talk about a cliffhanger. On Friday, Brenda Namigadde was placed on a 9:20pm flight en route to Uganda, by UK border officials. Then, at the eleventh hour, an injunction stopping her deportation was granted, and Brenda was taken off the flight shortly before takeoff!1

One week ago, Brenda’s plight was virtually unknown, and her deportation back to Uganda, where beloved gay rights activist David Kato was murdered just this week,2 was all but certain. But because you and more than 60,000 others sent letters, marched in London, and shared her story, we built an international outcry that was too loud for Home Secretary Theresa May and other UK officials to ignore.

It’s amazing news, but the story isn’t over...

On Wednesday, Brenda will have her asylum claim revisited - the court will decide once and for all to approve or deny her request to live openly and freely in the UK. The situation looks positive with many supporters emerging in her defense, but until Wednesday we’ll be keeping the pressure on Theresa May and the UK government to live up to its promise to prioritize LGBT asylum claims.3

As Brenda’s story unfolds, alarming news is also emerging about the haphazard, and sometimes downright offensive, ways that LGBT asylum cases are processed.4 It has now been revealed, for example, that Brenda’s original asylum claim was rejected because a judge deemed it odd that Brenda didn’t read or own “gay magazines.”5 The deeper we dig, the clearer it becomes that the system designed to protect people fleeing persecution is terribly broken and demands our attention.

We will keep you up-to-date this week as we continue to stand with Brenda and others like her whose courage inspires us. Thank you and stay tuned...

All best and All Out,
Andre, Jeremy, Joseph, Tile, Wesley and the rest of the team at All Out

PS - If you haven’t already done so, please spread the word about Brenda’s story:
http://www.allout.org/brenda/taf

SOURCES:

1. Ugandan lesbian wins temporary reprieve from deportation
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/28/uganda-lesbian-deportation-death-gay

2. Ugandan Who Spoke Up for Gays Is Beaten to Death
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/world/africa/28uganda.html

3. Gay asylum seekers win appeal to stay
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gay-asylum-seekers-win-appeal-to-stay-2020354.html

4. For Gays Seeking Asylum in the U.S., a New Hurdle
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/nyregion/29asylum.html

5. Ugandan lesbian’s asylum appeal rejected because she didn’t read gay magazines or other media
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/01/3...rejected-because-she-didnt-own-gay-magazines/

sufi

lala
Anyone else get this email? Maybe I spoke too soon about internet petitions!
last minute injunction by her legal rep probably more effective tbh

this progress on the FoI request
i wrote
Dear Madam or Sir,

I would like to thank you for your response to the request below dated 23rd August 2010, Your Ref FOI 15527.

However, your response did not address the question that I asked, in that you responded that you do not or cannot keep records of each asylum applicants' sexual orientation, which was not the information I asked for. My request was for information on the number of cases where the grounds for application was persecution based on sexual orientation.

I would like to make a fresh request for this information, although if you would prefer to reinstate the original request that would be fine,
Your response stated that you would not be able to gather the information requested as there is a limit to the cost that you are prepared to expend on the request. In that case please provide information on cases of asylum claims made on the grounds of sexual orientation over the past year, or if that is not feasible under the cost limit referred to, as many quarter years as resources permit. I assume that a breakdown of how the expenditure is calculated will be included.

Additionally, I would like to request information on any steps that UKBA or other Home Office departments have taken or are planning to take to monitor or otherwise address the number of asylum claims made on the grounds of sexual orientation or to address other issues relating to that group of claims, for example ensuring that determinations take into account appropriate and relevant country of origin guidance and are made by appropriately trained caseworkers.

I look forward to receiving your response, preferably by email,

Many Thanks Again,

Yours Sincerely
they replied
Regional Director for London and South East's Office
14th Floor, Long Wing, Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road
Croydon CR9 2BY
HomeOffice
UK Border
Agency

Web www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk

2 March 2011
Ref: FOI 17640
Dear Mr XXXXX

Thank you for your email of 6 February to the UK Border Agency Freedom of Information
Team about lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (lGBT) asylum applications. This falls
to be dealt with under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

It is noted that you previously made a request for this information and received a reply on 23
August 2010, however, you did not feel that the response given answered your question. You
have requested information on the number of asylum claims made on the grounds of sexual
orientation over the past few years (ie annual figures since 2004) and if possible the amount
of positive decisions, refusals, appeals and allowed appeals and this was not provided in the
previous response.

You have further stated that if there is a cost limit that you would request that data is
provided for as many quarters as possible and that a breakdown of how the expenditure was
calculated is provided.

As you will appreciate the reasons for asylum applications vary enormously with many being
very specific to the individual concerned. The Agency does not routinely record, on a central
database, the grounds of application. Instead applications are simply listed as asylum
applications with the detail being confined to the person's individual case record. Tnerefore
to provide the data you have requested it would be necessary to look at each individual
application for asylum and manually record the reason for application.

Between 2004 and the 3rdquarter of 2010 approximately 175,000 applications for asylum
have been made. As stated above to obtain the information required we would need to look
at each individual application for asylum. We believe such an approach would breach the
£600 limit which relates to FOI requests. The £600 limit applies to all central government
departments and is based on work being carried out at a rate of £25 per hour, which equates
to 3 ~ days work per request. Prescribed costs include those which cover the cost of
locating and retrieving information, and preparing our response to you. They do not include
considering whether any information is exempt from disclosure, overheads such as heating
or lighting, or disbursements such as photocopying or postage.

You have stated that if we believe that your original request exceeded the cost threshold
then you would request that we provided you with as many quarters of information as could
be provided within the threshold. In the first 3 quarters of 2010 there were 13,160
applications for asylum. Given the threshold test above even within you refined request it
would not be possible to extract even 1 quarters information within the £600 limit. This is due
to the need to individually extrapolate information from each asylum application and the time
this would take. We have worked this out on the basis that it would take a trained person 10
minutes to go through the case record and ascertain the basis of claim for each individual
application.

Although your request would at present be too costly to answer if you refine it so that it falls
under the cost limit we will consider it further. However, if your new request would still require
a search of a substantial number of individual case records, thereby also exceeding the £600
cost threshold, we may decline to answer.

You have also asked whether any steps are being taken by UKBA or other Home Office
departments to monitor or otherwise address the number of asylum claims made on the
grounds of sexual orientation or to address other issues relating to that group of claims, for
example ensuring that determinations take into account appropriate and relevant country of
origin guidance and are made by appropriately trained caseworkers.

The Agency is looking at how data on sexual orientation cases can be recorded more
effectively and at whether any resulting data can be published in future. This has included
asking case owners to begin recording manually where the Supreme Court ruling applies.
Because the data was recorded manually, and not as part of an established system, the
information collected is not robust. It is being used solely as indicative management
information and not as a basis for drawing significant conclusion or for developing policy.
Specific guidance on how to implement the Supreme Court ruling was quickly developed for
caseworkers, with the valuable assistance of internal and external partners including a
number of LGBT groups and organisations. This new asylum instruction 'Sexual orientation
and gender identity' was published in October 2010.

The UK Border Agency has also developed a training course which supports the new
guidance and helps decision makers to determine applications brought on the grounds of
sexual orientation in a sensitive manner that acknowledges the difficulties, trauma and
alienation that people bringing these claims may have experienced in their country of origin.
External partners have provided valuable input into this course. The course has been rolled
out nationwide and training of caseowners will be completed in February. Both the guidance
and training will be subject to ongoing audit and evaluation.

If you are dissatisfied with this response you may request an independent internal review of
our handling of your request. Internal review requests should be submitted within two
months of the UK Border Agency sending a substantive reply to your original request and
should be addressed to:
Information Access Team
Home Office
Ground Floor, Seacole Building
2 Marsham Street
London
SW1 P 4DF

During the independent review the department's handling of your information request will be
reassessed by staff who were not involved in providing you with this response. Should you
remain dissatisfied after this internal review, you will have a right of complaint to the
Information Commissioner as established by section 50 of the Freedom of Information Act.

Yours sincerely,

Ross Lewington
Regional Directors Office
seems to have been written by a human being rather than a bot!
still seems like there is scope for some concerted action if anyone is still up for it?