rep your ends.

sufi

lala
3016519449_c4730f7eb9.jpg

stab city:eek:

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
If we're including places you lived for a few months, I can add Kingston, JA. *wins thread*

(Though admittedly, S. Italy is quite gangsta - for Europe.)

it was well gangsta. Literally - i was in the furthest south village on the mainland and there were a LOT of deeply stereotypical mobsters about all the time. This was mid-80s when Calabria was very, erm, "unreconstructed" :D

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This was mid-80s when Calabria was very, erm, "unreconstructed" :D

There was a thread here a while back where I mentioned Mussolini's granddaughter, who is a neo-fascist politician and former pin-up girl - I posted a picture of her and said she looked like she came from "wherever is Italy's equivalent of Essex" (she really does, though). Nomad immediately replied "Calabria".

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Order of Brothelyngham was a group of men who formed themselves into a fake religious order in the city of Exeter in 1348, perhaps as a satire against the Church, which was commonly seen as corrupt, with its priests not living according to their vows in the late 14th century. They named themselves after a non-existent place which would have suggested chaos, wretchedness or some similar context to their contemporaries. They dressed as monks and elected a madman as their abbot, who ruled the men from a theatrical stage.

The Brothelynghamites caused much trouble in the city and its environs, regularly emerging from their base—which may have been some form of medieval theatre—and terrorising the populace of Exeter. Bearing their 'Abbot' aloft before them, they kidnapped locals whom they held for ransom and extortion, although it is likely that they saw themselves as theatrical players rather than criminals.