Music / Not Music

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
all good stuff, a lot reflecting what came up in our drunken pub ranting. I think his hands are tied somewhat by his desire to make aesthetics seem less of a "soft option" in terms of rigour, the problem being that it kind of IS - to teach the course seems to involve claiming a degree of objectivity or rigour that doesn't really exist.

dave quam

as far as noise/experimental music vs sound art goes....

It's about the context for me. Sound art is passed off as well, art. The kind of stuff I'm talking about is like 4' 33", Alvin Lucier "I Am Sitting in a Room", a lot of Walter Marchetti stuff, ect. A lot of noise guys do claim their stuff is "anti-music" but even then I find a lot of it to be music in some sense. I don't believe there are any set lines, just like something like Twin Infinitives or noise rock ect straddles the fence. When it comes to things like sound installations, most field recordings and such, I don't believe those are music and are not trying to be as such. But when you have people playing together like Erstwhile records type stuff where people are interacting in that way, is totally music to me. Just how I feel really, but there was a great John Cage quote where he said something about how music in the future was just going to be noise that I love.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Well women are generally too busy thinking about babies or kittens to have much cerebral runtime left over to consider weighty intellectual matters like this.

And, of course, you have to consider that it was either the path I chose, or watching "Manswers"* on the Man Network and shotgunning beers and reminding myself of the ways that I'm not at all, in anyway, gay. IF ONLY THERE WAS AN OPTION C. :)

*(Manswers is, btw, a real show, and must be seen to be believed.)

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
Has nobody mentioned "Music for airports" or ambient Eno in general yet? For shame.

A lot of people think of music as being inherently free of *function*. Us dance music types are usually free of that illusion, but it's worth taking that "functional music" thing to its furthest extent.

Granted, if it's kids, they'd only be able to listen for a minute or two - it's not exactly eventful music.

slowtrain

how about Machine Gun by Peter Brotzmann tentet? It's very full on but is an interesting example because 'real' instruments are being played proficiently, but it sounds like an unholy bloody racket.

This is a good one, I think.

Also maybe Penderecki's Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, it's a 'traditional' orchestra, but sounds like nothing else, the score is really great as well.