corporate sponsors for the arts - yay or nay

rubberdingyrapids

been thinking about this a while now but this - http://www.timeout.com/london/art/article/1346/should-the-art-world-dump-bpr - reminded me. got to say nay from an artistic perspective. but yay inevitably from a funding one. not sure when this became so widespread, dont remember seeing companies so deeply in bed with arts events/films/music etc in the 90s or introducing apparently philanthropic/cultural reinvestment, but seems like an inevitable direction that were headed in though, especially for the next few years. im sure some will say its just benign, maybe it is, and maybe BP funding the arts is no diff from a major label backing a musician, were just suspicious of it, but you cant help wondering how the relationship affects the art. i also wonder how great the benefit is to the corporation.

Leo

i also wonder how great the benefit is to the corporation.

i often wonder about this for lots of sponsorships, not just in support of the arts. do i like visa more tha mastercard because they sponsor football?

i think it's cool that red bull sponsors their music academy, but i've never bought a can of the stuff in my life and have no desire to do so. in that case, the sponsorship may have elevated their brand image in my mind, but it hasn't translated to business for them.