Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. Tea's Top 10 Badass Phenomena

droid Guest

I cant believe you left out zombie snails...

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    I cant believe you left out zombie snails...
    Do you mean snails with those vile parasites that make them get eaten by birds? Eurgh, parasites give me the .
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

droid Guest

Kind of. Its some kind of fluke that infects a snail, possess it by forcing its way up into the snails brain and eyes (the process is externally visible) and then makes the snail climb up into high grass to be eaten by livestock.

EDIT - Heres the US version which targets birds as you said:

Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Maybe they should try to insert genes from it into that radioactive fungus slime, that'd be the most awesome thing ever.

Actually, that'd be pretty neat.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 04-08-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Those parasites are just evil, clever but evil.

They're horrible, the poor snail. Having glowing antennae looks pretty painful. Can't help but wonder what would happen if I were to ingest some somehow.

Completely off topic but my mum did this like 15 years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10856523

I remember it. She never got on the news or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzleb View Post
    They're horrible, the poor snail. Having glowing antennae looks pretty painful. Can't help but wonder what would happen if I were to ingest some somehow.

Completely off topic but my mum did this like 15 years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10856523

I remember it. She never got on the news or nothing.
    Your mum should sue.

I went on a date with the woman from Radio 4 quoted there. We didn't hit it off particularly.

That Japanese bug thing made me almost physically ill. Gruesome shit.

droid Guest

Does anyone know the name of the microscopic prawn thing that wields a kind of supersonic hammer against its prey?

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Does anyone know the name of the microscopic prawn thing that wields a kind of supersonic hammer against its prey?
    what kind of tea have you been drinking?

Not sure, google throws up mantis shrimp, but they're defintiely not microscopic.

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    what kind of tea have you been drinking?

Not sure, google throws up mantis shrimp, but they're defintiely not microscopic.
    hmmm... Mantis shrimp sounds about right. Mustve gotten it confused as there were a bunch of micro-marine predators on the same programme.

In smashers, these two weapons are employed with blinding quickness, with an acceleration of 10,400 g (102,000 m/s2 or 335,000 ft/s2) and speeds of 23 m/s from a standing start,[7] about the acceleration of a .22 calibre bullet.[8][9] Because they strike so rapidly, they generate cavitation bubbles between the appendage and the striking surface.[7] The collapse of these cavitation bubbles produces measurable forces on their prey in addition to the instantaneous forces of 1,500 newtons that are caused by the impact of the appendage against the striking surface, which means that the prey is hit twice by a single strike; first by the claw and then by the collapsing cavitation bubbles that immediately follow.[10] Even if the initial strike misses the prey, the resulting shock wave can be enough to kill or stun the prey.

The snap can also produce sonoluminescence from the collapsing bubble. This will produce a very small amount of light and high temperatures in the range of several thousand kelvins within the collapsing bubble, although both the light and high temperatures are too weak and short-lived to be detected without advanced scientific equipment. The light emission and temperature increase probably have no biological significance but are rather side-effects of the rapid snapping motion. Pistol shrimp produce this effect in a very similar manner.
    Badass!!

EDIT - speaking of the Pistol Shrimp:

Badasser?
    Last edited by droid; 04-08-2010 at 04:06 PM.

maybe not that badass, but I've always liked that a hagfish can convert a 5 gallon bucket of water into slime in just a few minutes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagfish...nd_behavior.29