Mr. Tea's Top 10 Badass Phenomena

bruno

est malade
in other news, naked mole rats feel no pain due to acid.

20111216123903.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just had an enthused conversation about Weddell Seals. Specifically that they sound like the Forbidden Planet soundtrack dubbed out by Scratch Perry, without needing anything so downright soft as a recording studio or an echo box to help them.

I was sure there'd been some chat about them on dissensus, but can't find anything now. Here's a clip from Herzog's documentary where he went to Antarctica. The shots of the scientists lying on the ice are just great.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

There are some other really long, equally amazing sound samples in a blog post I did earlier in the year.

I made the following as a joint tribute to Delia Derbyshire and Weddell seals:

HOLY SMOKING TOLEDO

Note the shockfront causing new cloud formations and enormous splashdowns from ejecta between ship and shore.

Also, I learnt today that when Krakatoa went off it most likely blasted away the sea leaving bare seabed and a void that took half an hour to fill...

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed