Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: David Foster Wallace

What comes after postmodernism?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

You can add as many posts as you like - we're up to post-post-post-post-modernism now (can be written p to the fourth)

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    What comes after postmodernism?
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Gnosis
    Interesting. If you take a dialectical approach to the question, and employ the vaguest possible definitions of modernism and postmodernism, you could arrive at the synthesis of absolutism and relativism as the answer. Now, what that would look like, I have no idea, and it could be something like gnosis/anamnesis. But I'm working on it, or it is working me over, all the time.

I've seen the term "metamodernism" bandied about, but I don't know much about it.

In 2010 the cultural theorists Timotheus Vermeulen and Robin van den Akker introduced the term metamodernism [24] as an intervention in the post-postmodernism debate. In their article 'Notes on metamodernism' they assert that the 2000s are characterized by the emergence of a sensibility that oscillates between, and must be situated beyond, modern positions and postmodern strategies. As examples of the metamodern sensibility Vermeulen and van den Akker cite the 'informed naivety', 'pragmatic idealism' and 'moderate fanaticism' of the various cultural responses to, among others, climate change, the financial crisis, and (geo)political instability.

The prefix 'meta' here refers not to some reflective stance or repeated rumination, but to Plato's metaxy, which intends a movement between opposite poles as well as beyond.

I don't know. That doesn't feel like a synthesis. More like a compromise between modernism and postmodernism. I suspect whatever it will be will absolutely annihilate the idea that we were ever modern at all. Like breaking through on DMT or Salvia. You just stare in awe realizing you exist on a very low level of the evolutionary chain. More advanced technology and beings are in, around, beyond us all the time.

Once you have read Harold Brodkey you can see where Dave got a lot of his stylistic quirks from. "...Classical Mode" especially

Doesn't meta originally mean very simply "after"? I thought that what became metaphysics was literally what was in the books Aristotle had on his shelf after physics. Or is that bollocks?

Quote Originally Posted by slackk View Post
    Once you have read Harold Brodkey you can see where Dave got a lot of his stylistic quirks from. "...Classical Mode" especially
    Apparently he lifted a bit from Gaddis too.

You can see something of the style in John Irving but DFW certainly took it further.

A DWF video popped up in my suggesteds today and that weird doo rag/bandana he wore is enough to put me off reading him ever again.

Apparently that was to mask what he thought was a sweating problem, but he also claimed it was to stop his head exploding.