tunes that perfectly fuse jungle and happy hardcore

Benny Bunter

also, I would like to make a request/challenge to benny b, gremino, etc - all you dudes who throw down great 2-step and dark garage and old school hardcore mixes on the regular - to put together mixes of these tunes. there is nothing I would like better than to be able listen to crazy piano riffs over ruff amens while I ride up and down the many, many hills of Atlanta on my bike.

Big :DJungle mix on the way very shortly...

Benny Bunter

Here you go...

http://www.mediafire.com/?s80guy4e32szsyy

1. Alright with me - Manix
2. Lift me up (Slammin vinyl remix) - Future Primitive
3. Higher - DJ Ham
4. Master piece - DJ Ham and Poosie
5. Rudeboy hardcore - DJ Trace
6. 4am - Orca
7. Fall down on me - DJ Force and the Evolution
8. Take me away (Slipmatt remix) - Jimmy J and Cru-L-T
9. In complete darkness (Slipmatt remix) - Fat Controller
10. Peakin' thru the window - Vibes and Wishdokta
11. Touch somebody - Red Alert and Mike Slammer
12. Green eggs and...(Krome and time remix) - DJ Ham
13. Thinkin' about u - DJ Ham and Poosie
14. Most uplifting (Future primitives mix) - DJ Ham
15. Just close your eyes - Temporary mash up

gremino

Moster Sirphine
One thing I like alot of this era stuff is the use of timestreched breaks as melodies, which jungle abandoned in '94. One of my favourite things in jungle/hardcore. Alot of these tunes in Benny's mix.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
a few of the best tunes on Homegrown Records

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

this is another one of those ones where it's like, ok, pure darkside, then a random happy piano out of nowhere, then straight back to darkside.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

padraig (u.s.)

probably some people are already familiar with the Naughty Naughty records ca.'93-94, done by Grant Nelson aka Wishdokta from upthread (also aka like 70 other things, he wound up later becoming one of the original dons of 4x4 garage when it was just starting out), they're analogous to Slipmatt's SMD series or from a bit earlier Dave Charlesworth's Energizer series, so you know what you're gonna get - bootleg mashups or remixes of famous tunes a la "40 Miles" or "Sweet Harmony" or whatever over ruff amens kicked up to ~160 bpm, which often (imo) improves upon the original. a couple of favorites:

what can I say I'm a sucker for "Where Love Lives" and mixing it with True Faith is just perverted piano-sampling madness

oh yes nothing is safe not even deep Detroit techno classics (looking at you LTJ Bukem). also this might be the only ambient(-ish) happy hc tune I've ever heard.

so wait, you're going to take "Gonna Be Alright", which is already a totally manic happy jungle tune, speed it up and slap a tearout Aretha Franklin acapella over the top? oh, that's cool I guess

padraig (u.s.)

did you know that master of all things ruff, hard and dark DJ SS had his own Naughty Naughty style series of jungle/happy hc mashups called Crowd Pleasers? well maybe you did, but I certainly didn't. they're actually kinda mediocre imo, but this is the Crowd Pleasers tune I like best, yet another darkside jam that inexplicably gives way to rave stabs and finally a full-on euphoric piano breakdown (about 4 minutes in)

padraig (u.s.)

And here's a bunch of killer tunes from Jimmy J's Remix Records

2 croozin = luna-c + poosie. the next 2 tunes = inexplicably great.

this one's pretty good too. bonus points if you recognize where the piano's from.

yet another Luna-C alias (he has more than Wolfgang Voight and Pete Namlook combined, I swear)

this is another one of those ones right out at the edge. listening to it gives me the brief sensation that I just did a line of speed. I think it's the multiple layers of super-helium chipmunk vox.

padraig (u.s.)

Did you know Krome & Time, of "This Sound is for the Underground" etc ardkore fame, and later purveyors of a slew of great ragga jungle, hardstep, and so on tunes, also had their own happy jungle side project? No, nor did I. unsurprisingly, given that we're dealing with DJ Krome & Mr. Time, it's all REALLY GOOD. Seriously if you just skimmed all the other stuff I tossed up, really take the time to listen to this one. It might just be in my top 10 jungle tunes ever.

Kinda reminds me a little bit of a left-hand path counterpart of 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse (i.e. Foul Play) - "Drowning in Her", but I dunno that's just me, a real 3 A.M. eternal vibe tho you know...

padraig (u.s.)

oh and other people put out some pretty great tunes on Krome & Time's happy jungle label (Zodiac Records) too

this is by Exodus and Head Pressure - who just to put things in context were also responsible for the infamous, New Jack City-sampling, darkside rinseout "Glass Pipe Fury" (on K & T's serious jungle label, Tearin Vinyl). this tune is really, really good tho. I want you all to tell me the name of your DJ, goddammit!

padraig (u.s.)

oh and this is just yet another bit of random amazingness. wait for the 2-minute mark and get your mind blown.

padraig (u.s.)

speaking of which, it's kind of amazing to me that after listening to literally thousands of jungle and ardkore tunes, and knowing -exactly- what's coming, I still get my own mind blown by tunes on a pretty regular basis. I mean even after wading through tons of awful full-on happy hardcore dross to skim off the cream, that one mythical perfect piano line over that one perfect ruff break or whatever is still like a minute of sheer bliss. I think jungle music may be like the only thing in my life that it's impossible for me to get jaded about. seriously.

alright I'm done for now.

continuum

smugpolice
did you know that master of all things ruff, hard and dark DJ SS had his own Naughty Naughty style series of jungle/happy hc mashups called Crowd Pleasers? well maybe you did, but I certainly didn't. they're actually kinda mediocre imo, but this is the Crowd Pleasers tune I like best, yet another darkside jam that inexplicably gives way to rave stabs and finally a full-on euphoric piano breakdown (about 4 minutes in)

This is one of the first 12" records I bought. Pretty sure I still have it. Never knew it was by DJ SS!

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Speaking of Ray Keith, was listening to this yesterday and it felt sorta-kinda relevant:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
HOLY FUCKING SHIT:

My mind is truly blown.

Benny Bunter

This thread was wicked wasn't it?

I'm bumping it because of this great Simon Reynolds article on Happy Hardcore from '95, just posted on the Energy Flash blog

http://energyflashbysimonreynolds.b.../normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html

...which links to this brilliant mix/article, Padraig you would looooove this I reckon, loads of breakbeats!

http://sonicrampage.org/blog/2012/11/pearsall-presents-what-is-happiness-happy-hardcore/

Style: Vintage ’94/’95 Happy Hardcore

Direct link to the mix: http://sonicrampage.org/mixes/wih/Pearsall-WhatIsHappiness.mp3

Tracklisting:

01. Force Mass Motion – Panic (DJ Druid Remix) (Rabbit City)
02. Happy Tunes & DJ Hixxy – Feel So Good (Happy Tunes)
03. Vibes & Wishdokta – Destiny (Impact)
04. Midas – Imperial March (Star Wars Mix) (Slammin’ Vinyl)
05. Billy ‘Daniel’ Bunter & JDS – Come Alive (Happy Jack)
06. Slipmatt – Breaking Free (Ramos & Sunset Regime Remix) (Universal)
07. DJ Ham – Most Uplifting (Fresh Slices Mix) (Kniteforce)
08. The Fat Controller – In Complete Darkness (Slipmatt Remix) (Uphoria)
09. Billy ‘Daniel’ Bunter – New Sensation (DJ Brisk Remix) (Just Another Label)
10. JDS – Higher Love (Stompin’ Choonz)
11. Happy Tunes – Rushin’ On Pink Champagne (Slammin’ Vinyl)
12. DJ Brisk – Make It Rough (Remix Records)
13. Sunset Regime – Forever Young (Billy ‘Daniel’ Bunter & D-Zyne Remix) (RSR)
14. Hixxy & Bananaman – Yes, Yes & Er Yes (Essential Platinum)