tunes that perfectly fuse jungle and happy hardcore

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
aka, happy hardcore before it abandoned the ruffneck chopped-up breaks

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

more tunes like this, please. and especially like THIS (if they even exist)

padraig (u.s.)

by way of explanation:

for a brief shining moment (like mid-'93 through late '94? I dunno exactly) when the darkside/happy split was happening but not yet done it seems like a few producers, mostly on the happy side of the divide, were making tunes that magically combined ruffneck chopped breaks and junglist bass pressure with ridiculous hands in the hair piano riffs and helium-ed eurodance vox samples. it's pretty much the greatest thing ever. I would like to hear more of it. unfortunately until recently I had a kind snobbish disdain for all things happy hc, so I'm relatively unfamiliar. and even still happy hc gets way too "happy hc" - once they lose the breaks & resort to hyperspeed 4/4 pretty much - and there's so much just awful stuff to wade through. so I'm outsourcing it to Dissensus, where more than a few punters must have at least a passing familiarity, and a few of you probably witnessed it in person. so Dissensus happy hc massive, this is your chance to shine! plus isn't happy hc about do for one of those critical reappraisals where people decide it has all this artistic merit that elitist critics dismissed at the time etc...

basically I'm looking for tunes where you think it's a '94 rinseout and then all of a sudden a crazy pitched-up piano riff drops in out of nowhere and you're like WTF? the more over-the-top the pianos & vox, and the ruffer the breaks, the better.

padraig (u.s.)

like this, this is just ridiculous

padraig (u.s.)

see and then for the first half of this you're like, oh totally a darkside tune and then out of nowhere some great cheesy piano riff

if you haven't guessed yet I think I'm about to go luka commando-stylee with this and just keeping throwing down tunes until someone stops me

padraig (u.s.)

slipmatt one of the dons of the jungle/happy hc mashup (along with wishdokta, luna-c, etc)

and riding the "Better Days" piano riff

padraig (u.s.)

this is -almost- too much, meaning it's totally awesome. that's what we're all about, exploring the the magical point where awesomeness becomes horribleness.

lots of people will know this one I reckon

the piano riff in this one is also used in an even better tune that I can sing the melody of but can't remember the name of right now

padraig (u.s.)

more Hectic Records

weirdly, and in keeping with the theme, the flip to this is -serious- darkside business

dude

duuuuude

padraig (u.s.)

more dj pooch

some of you junglists might recognize the piano on this one...

padraig (u.s.)

best for last, another Slipmatt tune. this may very well be my favorite tune ever actually...

alright, enough, I have to go study, but when I come back and check in 2 days I expect this thread to be check full of euphoric piano riffs on top of chopped-up amens

Numbers

Urban Hype:

and the fantastic b-side:

Also, Bonny & Highlander:

and the more euphoric:

gremino

Moster Sirphine
I love this stuff.

plus isn't happy hc about do for one of those critical reappraisals where people decide it has all this artistic merit that elitist critics dismissed at the time etc...
Dunno if this has yet happened to early happy hc - I think original hardcore has done it. But when it will happen, I will go :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: It's so much safer to dig certain styles when they're past.

Though there was a single juicy backlash to elitists in 90's (exract from Simon Reynolds' article):

Caught between its reluctance to abandon the dancefloor totally for no-rules headfuck, and its squeamish disdain for the full-on fervour of the rave, this semi-experimental genre of ‘abstract dance’ suffered a humiliation of sorts earlier this year, when Colin Faver’s long-running Techno show on Kiss FM was dropped to make way for a Happy Hardcore programme. In that hideous, hilarious irony (‘proper’ techno displaced by the rave fodder it had always sneered at) lies a warning for the neurofunk tendency, and for its patron Grooverider, who has his own Kiss FM show based around a similar progressive ethos to Faver’s.
Sounds just so lovely :D :D

wise

bare BARE BONES
This is my favourite period 93-94 mid way between Hardcore Euphoria and Jungle dread, looking forward to checking out all these youtube clips

Webstarr

I've got a 2 hour set from DJ Tubby which is basically these kind of tunes, I'll find it and get it uploaded

hucks

Your Message Here
This is almost exactly the opposite way round from what you're asking for- ie it starts with an uplifting piano then goes a bit ruffer - and it's about 4 years later. I remember reading a feature in Mixmag or Muzik, some sort of "Wot's the BIG CHOON in your box?" with Force and/ or Styles and he said he loved this one but mixed it out before the drop. Good work.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Already a wee bit 4x4 but still:
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Kind of similar:
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Last edited:

soul_pill