PC Speakers

you

updating to the sake of consistency really....

DAC's would be a waste of time for me, from my itunes the music goes.....digital 44.1khz-analogue-digital 192khz-analogue-ears - lots of conversions

With a DAC the music would still have many conversions.... i'm better off just getting an optical out and keeping it digital until inside my amp for conversion to analogue then ( as it HAS to go from digital to analogue then because I only have one amp and it's digital ).

I have my CD recorder playing CD's at 44.1Khz going through the optical cable into the amp staying at 44.1khz before going analogue for the speakers - best sound that way keeping it simple. Wish my Mac had an optical out!

nomos

Administrator
yeah this is where that stuff loses me. i've never dealt with a digital receiver before. sounds like it could get quite fussy and confusing.

you

crunken upgrade itch post......

I have my digital panny sa-xr50, with an optical connex to my mac and cd player.... all good.

Now, I know the sa-xr50 can do dtx Neo 5.1 -6.1 taking a stereo source ( in my case digital ) and splitting ( re-interpreting ) it into 19 sounds to distribute to 6 speakers...... so the most surround experience possible from what is essentially a stereo source.

Has anybody tried this???? I'm thinking gamelan and shackleton would sound quite good like this....

Leo

hey...this thread is a bit out of date, any suggestions on decent wireless PC speakers?

I'm not looking for ones with separate subwoofers or anything, just want to replace my old harman/kardons (which still sound pretty good but the wires are a pain and ugly). need to be relatively small, my current PC speakers are 7" x 4", so around that size. appreciate any thoughts.

Numbers

If wires are the problem, have you considered grabbing an Airport Express? They cost about as much as a pair of decent pc speakers and you can use them to send the music to any sound installation you want. We use one for the home office and it really beats having shitty little speakers on your desk.

Leo

If wires are the problem, have you considered grabbing an Airport Express? They cost about as much as a pair of decent pc speakers and you can use them to send the music to any sound installation you want. We use one for the home office and it really beats having shitty little speakers on your desk.

Hmm, good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I have a Airport Express as my wifi, but my stereo receiver is really old and my speakers are far from the Airport, so don't think I'm able to set up AirPlay. I believe you have to connect the speaker to the Airport, is that correct? Or is the connection done via the receiver?

Last edited:

benw

slite thread derail but can anyone suggest a decent sounding ipod dock / ipod speakers system for £50-80?

Numbers

Hmm, good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I have a Airport Express as my wifi, but my stereo receiver is really old and my speakers are far from the Airport, so don't think I'm able to set up AirPlay. I believe you have to connect the speaker to the Airport, is that correct? Or is the connection done via the receiver?

If the speakers are powered, you connect directly to your speakers. From what you write, though, I presume they are powered by a receiver. In that case you need to connect to the receiver/amplifier through an analog or digital optical cable (depending on how new your receiver is). Mine goes to 70s Marantz; works like a charm.

Leo

If the speakers are powered, you connect directly to your speakers. From what you write, though, I presume they are powered by a receiver. In that case you need to connect to the receiver/amplifier through an analog or digital optical cable (depending on how new your receiver is). Mine goes to 70s Marantz; works like a charm.

thanks, m. will look into it.