William Burroughs on Led Zeppelin (Arthur Mag 1975)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Seconded/thirded, whatever. Good find. I was slightly surprised at this pairing, given that Led Zep aren't really what you'd call a 'highbrow' or literary band, but on second thoughts it makes perfect sense in the context of JP's obsession with the occult in general and Crowley in particular (I guess it would be trite to mention Page's coughheroinaddictioncough).

This line struck me as funny:

In that film a rock star was manipulated by reactionary forces to set up a state religion; this scenario seems unlikely, I think a rock group singing political slogans would leave its audience at the door.

Perish the thought!

rage_against_the_machine__ratm__www-moshpit-ru.jpg

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Jimmy said that Crowley has been maligned as a black magician, whereas magic is neither white nor black, good nor bad–it is simply alive with what it is: the real thing, what people really feel and want and are. I pointed out that this “either/or” straitjacket had been imposed by Christianity when all magic became black magic; that scientists took over from the Church, and Western man has been stifled in a non-magical universe known as “the way things are.” Rock music can be seen as one attempt to break out of this dead soulless universe and reassert the universe of magic.

i wish uncle bill was here to respond to this thread. or a number of other threads...

zhao

there are no accidents
We discussed the possibility of synthesizing rock music with some of the older forms of trance music that have been developed over centuries to produce powerful, sometimes hypnotic effects on the audience. Such a synthesis would enable the older forms to escape from the mould of folk lore and provide new techniques to rock groups.

truly a man after me own heart...

zhao

there are no accidents
i love how the "interview" is basically just Bill talking about cool stuff and Jimmy sitting there going "yeah man, that's really heavy..." lol

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Page thought the Loch Ness monster existed...:D

Wonder which musician Bill should interview today? Any thoughts? I'd like to have heard him in conversation with someone who cuts up or samples sound in a concrete style...like Parmegiani. But he got sucked into the Rock vortex by the likes of Lou Reed, Bowie, Debby Harry etc all falling at his feet, didn't he? Although Bowie claims to have used the cut-up technique for some of Diamond Dogs, nothing in Rock really reflects Bill's approach to word or sound....as far as I know...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i love how the "interview" is basically just Bill talking about cool stuff and Jimmy sitting there going "yeah man, that's really heavy..." lol

Well (fortunately!) it's never been a requisite of being a guitar player that you have to be an intellectual as well. :)

Re. the music collabs, Burroughs worked with loads of people, didn't he? Throbbing Gristle, Ministry and Tom Waites, off the top of my head. Hardly typical "rock" acts (ignoring Ministry's later (and largely rather boring) straight-up metal fare).

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I was trying to remember what that 'Spare Ass Annie' album was like - the one with the music by Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - but my memory is although it was sample based you couldn't really say it was much like Burroughs' cut-up techniques. Then again, haven't heard it since the year it came out, whenever that was? Mid-90s?

slowtrain

I was trying to remember what that 'Spare Ass Annie' album was like - the one with the music by Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - but my memory is although it was sample based you couldn't really say it was much like Burroughs' cut-up techniques. Then again, haven't heard it since the year it came out, whenever that was? Mid-90s?

It's really funny, the music is real clean and 'jazzy', like real smooth stuff, my Dad said that it was really popular back then (in alternative sort of circles)

I'm just assuming this is the same track we're talking about...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, should've known Youtube would provide...

There was another noodly version of that same track by Bill Laswell, which I remember being very popular:

bobbin

What
i like the way burroughs brings up sonic weaponry and goes on to anticpate the fetishisation of sub-bass. eat your heart out, steve goodman.