Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Game - Neil Strauss

Default The Game - Neil Strauss

I know it's old news but I read it yesterday. Not, as I originally feared, a self-help book for those unable to attract the opposite (ie female) sex but a story of one man's descent into a world of Pick-Up Artists (PUAs) and misogyny. An absolutely readable and awful book that describes the way that Neil Strauss (or Style as he dubbed himself) rose to the top of a secret community of people who dedicated their whole life to swapping tactics for approaching, chatting up and, effectively, mind-controlling or hypnotising as many women as possible.
    Strauss cunningly represents himself (I suspect at least somewhat dishonestly) as someone at slightly one remove from the community as a whole, someone who is both attracted and repelled by the power he (claims to have) gained to chat up and bed any woman he desired. In the end he leaves the community having recognised the shallowness of constant phone-number acquiring and found true love. He also misses no opportunity to point out how different he is from the majority of hangers-on and self-styled PUAs who become so addicted to The Game that they leave their jobs and home to hang on the words of pulling gurus such as Style and Mystery (they all give themselves stupid names - a bit like on dissensus but stupider) which means that he is able to get the book out and leave himself as someone who still retains some vestige of humanity. He has cake and eats it quite effectively basically.
    Anyway, I have to say I loved reading the whole sordid, depressing thing and I wonder if anyone else has read it and what they think.

A picture there of the uber-pullers Mystery (left) and Style.
    Last edited by IdleRich; 14-11-2010 at 02:23 PM.

their mind control techniques must be more powerful than i can imagine.

For a second I thought you'd erroneously placed a thread about a new hip-hop concept album in the Art & Lit forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    their mind control techniques must be more powerful than i can imagine.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Would like to hear from nomad on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by massrock View Post
    Would like to hear from nomad on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadologist
    Mystery couldn't get it up and Style came in like two minutes, rolled over and fell asleep.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread....ging-qualities

We had quite the thread of death with this one!

That pic of the guys looks incomplete without a snarky comment from Gavin McInnes underneath.

I know a fella who is well into this book, goes on about it all the time, giving everybody advice on what to say, how to act, the philosophy behind it all...

never actually talks to any women, though.

Quote Originally Posted by comelately View Post
    We had quite the thread of death with this one!
    yeah I thought of that as soon as I saw this. good times. skimmed back through, stand by everything I said 100%, in the interests of keeping the peace will leave it there. vivi e lascia vivere & all that.

one thing however - the term "pick-up artist" always puts me in mind of "A Hunger Artist" which, yes, is a rather jarring incongruity.

quality thread that, i'd forgotten all about it. Vim negging himself to get in the mood for wanks, brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    He has cake and eats it quite effectively basically.
    i've not read it so totally take w salt but from what you say this seems very reasonable, there's an air of 'doth protest too much' to the guy it seems... ...this is of course obscuring the real issue, which is does Nigella flick her bean to Fred Durst, or to Zizek?

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scottdisco View Post
    quality thread that, i'd forgotten all about it. Vim negging himself to get in the mood for wanks, brilliant
    His finest moment!

Hahaha, oh god, THAT thread.

Quote Originally Posted by comelately
    I learnt how to help women to squirt [...] because of 'the community'
    More like comeallovermyfacebaby, amirite??? And all thanks to The Community! Is that like the Muslim community or the LGBT community, only it's the squirting community?

Quite ironic seeing my comments there, as I am the one who lent the book to Rich. (I found it in a church jumble sale, honest). I'd forgotten about that thread.

I thought it was thoroughly entertaining, but I strongly suspect he's a massive liar - not so much about the PUA techniques working, but his own distance from "the community" and what he actually did etc.

I still think basic techniques for improving confidence = not so bad, but systematising all into an alleged "science", introducing profits from workshops etc = not so good, and it's got an exploitative misogynist worldview embedded which he doesn't really examine.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post

I still think basic techniques for improving confidence = not so bad, but systematising all into an alleged "science", introducing profits from workshops etc = not so good, and it's got an exploitative misogynist worldview embedded which he doesn't really examine.
    I sort of think it's funny to imagine all these George Costanza looking guys using Jedi mind tricks on plastic valley girls.

"HELLO, you will sleep with me, btw you're annoying and dumb."
    *waves hand across her face*
    "OMG, I, like, totally feel attracted to you!"
    "Just another day in the life of a fly guy, my friend."
    *hitches up 44 inch polyester slacks*