I like the bad later albums

Tim F

[q]Only the other day I dismissed that album on here, I'd be interested to know why I am wrong. [/q]

Banger after banger after banger. Easily the most kinetic Wu album in my opinion.

But then with a couple of exceptions I've never been a huge fan of Wu in clapped-out bang-on-a-trash-can mode (can't get with '8 Diagrams' for this reason); if that's what draws you to Wu then obv your mileage will vary.

connect_icut

I've come to really like some of the cheesier mid-late 80s New Order stuff after glossing over it in my Joy Division period

At what point are New Order generally considered to have fallen off? I only know the singles and I like most of them right up to "Touched by the Hand of God" and "Fine Time" (is that what it was called?) but there are a few clunkers along the way (e.g. "State of the Nation").

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I actually can't think of any not so well-regarded later albums that I prefer to more critically acclaimed early material from just about any group/artist

Damien

I love Yes when they stopped with the proggy mentalist shit and got Trevor Horn on board to make lovely little pop songs

connect_icut

I heard "Owner of a Lonely Heart" in a supermarket the other day and it was rather catchy!

Surprised nobody's mentioned Neil Young yet. I kind of like "Harvest Moon".

bb_rebozo

.._......
when it comes to tim buckley i'd rather prefer the late overproduced la-albums. never really liked his so-called masterpieces lorca or starsailor (song to the siren is the only exception), not to mention his early folksinger career (i never asked to be your mountain is the only exception in this case). the late tim buckley is the deal. 70s la-studio-slickness at its peak plus the soul of a white boy. :cool:

connect_icut

when it comes to tim buckley i'd rather prefer the late overproduced la-albums. never really liked his so-called masterpieces lorca or starsailor (song to the siren is the only exception), not to mention his early folksinger career (i never asked to be your mountain is the only exception in this case). the late tim buckley is the deal. 70s la-studio-slickness at its peak plus the soul of a white boy.

Well, I can't agree with the specifics of this but I do understand the general principle.

I love everything by Tim Buckley up to and including Starsailor (to my ears, Lorca just sounds like Starsailor with all the life sucked out of it). Starsailor would have to be in my top 20 albums of all time. "Monterey"!

Not a fan of the later stuff, though. I don't even like Greetings from LA.

Still, I do understand the principle of preferring artists' slick, easy-on-the-ears stuff to their ground-breaking avant garde statements. That's why I prefer the later, folky goth-rock version of the Swans to the early abject noise catharsis incarnation. Love of Life!

craner

Beast of Burden
I am not sure if this really counts, but I have a soft spot for Starship -- that is, as well as Jefferson Airplane. I don't know how Grace Slick & Co quite got there, but I enjoy the fact that they did. They are like the pulse of their generation -- like Neil Young or P J O'Rourke.

Damien

Obviously the best 'bad later album' is Celtic Frost-Cold Lake

Really pissed me off to hear Tom G calling this album a mistake just so he could promote his newer album to the 'real' metal fans, lost respect for him for that. Cold Lake is one of my favourite albums of all time, love it

franz

i'll see your Sade and raise you...
1159013215_george_michael__older.jpg

also, whilst it isn't really playing along with the spirit of the thread, but i have to say that i'll probably never learn to love anything Horace Andy has done as much as his vocal work with Massive Attack (and really mostly just on Mezzanine).

craner

Beast of Burden
So why don't we make a little room in my BMW...

(Victoria Beckham's favorite song -- upwardly mobile Essex disco.)

rubberdingyrapids

there is something easier about listening to the later period without all the baggage of the classic eras.

prob why i like listening to 90s prince more than the 80s stuff.
or late 70s/early 80s rolling stones (i hate beggars banquet, let it bleed for the most part).
or 80s joni mitchell (does anyone else like dog eat dog and ethiopia like me?)

CrowleyHead

Its always cool to come to a band's later discog knowing it isn't 'CLASSICS' and enjoying yourself. I once binged on the Nick Lowe discography and I loved his weird 90s 00s stuff where he was trying to be an old country singer instead of a power-pop guy. It was so transparent, but he's such a good songwriter it has such charm.

CrowleyHead

Oasis gets better once Noel (who's actually a much better singer) gets to sing his own songs. Liam is so atrocious once the millennium turns.