Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: rolling tv thread

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Yeah, both very good I thought. Read the Patrick Melrose books as a result. Worth doing too I think.
    I think one thing the Brits still do well is acting.

All Eton educated of course but that can't be helped.

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    You'll need to catch the latest Danny Dyer vehicle then - sort of like Horrible Histories but swearier
    that somehow sounds like the antidote

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    It's true that UK TV is brilliant in comparison to most of the globe, but I also agree with Version that there is something drab and depressing about a lot of it, especially in the continued golden age of American TV. Maybe I'm just too familiar with it by now, and maybe it's a Brexit side-effect, that I'm coming to feel intense antipathy towards anything that carries the scars of Britishness, even if objectively it's quite good
    I'm the same with film too, I just can't get along with anything set in the UK. I don't mind watching British actors in stuff set in other countries, it's just the environment itself. There's something about the place that just sucks the air out of the room for me.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    As an aside, I thought that Jaws was a brilliantly minimal title for the film but in Portugal (or at least on Portuguese telly) they go one further and simply call it Shark. I know because Shark 2 is on right now (and it was on yesterday and the day before I think).
    Apparently when Brokeback Mountain was released with Turkish subtitles, the title it was given translates directly as "The Faggot Cowboys".
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Anyone seen Maniac? The Netflix series with Jonah Hill and Emma Stone taking part in some sort of clinical trial which has them hopping through different timelines and personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Anyone seen Maniac? The Netflix series with Jonah Hill and Emma Stone taking part in some sort of clinical trial which has them hopping through different timelines and personalities.

I saw that. Quite good. But I was hoping for more, I think Jonah Hill is one of the best Hollywood actors now, fuck it, he's the best. Reuniting him with the girl from Superbad and an intriguing looking plot. I was really excited. The British girl was good I thought.

I've only seen the first four episodes, not sure what to make of it. It feels a bit like if the people who made Stranger Things remade Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and peppered it with references to stuff like Alien and 2001.
    I was into the idea of a bulletproof fur coat.
    Last edited by version; 08-02-2019 at 04:11 AM.

Yeah that's about right, maybe a bit of Marukami's Happy End of the World in there too.