Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rolling tv thread

anyone seen Lars von Trier's TV show The Kingdom? any good?

Anyone checking out Danish series The Killing on BBC Four? Am enjoying it

Quote Originally Posted by run_time View Post
    Haven't seen it, but AMC (the network responsible for Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead) has picked up an American remake of it that's meant to be premiering this year.

Noble and Silver - anyone know anything about these people?

Quote Originally Posted by nochexxx View Post
    Don't bother - boring, overrated. Just watch Breaking the Waves again.

Quote Originally Posted by run_time View Post
    yeah i'm enjoying it too, excellent moody colorisation, epic knitwear

i noticed it's hype in the papers last weekend, even murdoch press, surprisingly as it's beating sky atlantic in the ratings....

Bloody hell, I know it's a bit old news now, but I just made the regrettable mistake of watching The Catherine Tate Show. What a pile of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by nochexxx View Post
    this was great. set in a hospital! it's a supernatural black comedy swine dream, with what you might now consider to be hypnagogic effects. how this ever made it on TV, i'll never know. Lars Trier laughs hysterically after he vanishes at then end of each episodes summary, i reckon. i love that idea.

The Killing remake not looking promising

The Killing is tops. Apparently it's 4 year old and a second series (re. Afghanistan War!) already in the can and bought up by the Beeb.

Slightly disappointed by Boardwalk Empire, though I'd sooner lose a toe than miss any of it. It's well made and hugely watchable, just can't help feeling it should've been so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    Slightly disappointed by Boardwalk Empire, though I'd sooner lose a toe than miss any of it. It's well made and hugely watchable, just can't help feeling it should've been so much more.
    it's got kelly MacDonald in it. That will always be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    it's got kelly MacDonald in it. That will always be enough.
    would there be any sons/daughters of Erin here caring to pass comment on her Oirish accent at all (at all at all)?

The Killing is brilliant.. reminds a lot of the BBC tv series State of Play (which then got remade into a shit film)

Right, right. Sorry, new to this place. Didn't notice there actually was a running tv-thread. Moved post:

Huh, weird that the hype in this place around Mad Men stopped after season 3. In my eyes, season 4 took the show into the realm of the very best shows ever. It was just brilliant. Mad Men has begun doing something nearly no other show has ever tried: It shows change. Even The Wire (best show ever) was the same story played out in five different ways. Mad Men, however, changed significantly, and logically, with this latest series. It was really brilliant, by far my favorite series.

So what else are people watching? I liked three new shows from last year: Treme, Rubicon and Terriers. Of course, two of those has been cancelled... Terriers is especially recomended to everyone, buddy-private-investigators show with so much flawed humanity that it really hurts at times. And it is set in San Diego, where I am currently living. Check it out.

And yeah, I really loved The Kingdom, but I love von Trier in general, especially his early, European trilogy. Element of Crime, Epidemic, Europa.
    Cynicism VII: Niall Ferguson and Pankaj Mishra: The Centrifugue

I just finished season one of The Killing, it's really great, but some elements of the run up to the finale didn't really satisfy me, and as is to be expected with a murder mystery running for 20 60 minute episodes, some of the to and froing with suspects etc began to grate a little. I'm still really excited to see the rest of the series, it can't be long till they're translated (the second half of the series I downloaded had been translated by fans or someone other than the BBC, surely they're on the case with the later seasons).

Crackerjack, I had the same problem with Boardwalk Empire. It's almost like HBO were so desperate for another drama hit since their thunder's been stolen by the likes of Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad that they just threw all they could at it and hoped it would work out. Mega budget + Scorsese + Sopranos/Wire alumni doesn't add up to greatness in this case. The sheer amount of CG used in the show is very jarring too, there's a sheen of soft focus around the characters in every second scene. Annoying. I still enjoyed the series and I'm interested to see where it goes, it might turn out better later on. Like a reverse Lost.

EDIT: I just checked and series two is up on Demonoid with fan-made subtitles. PM me if you need an invite, the series is 5.88gb, it's only 10 episodes long.
    Last edited by cobretti; 29-03-2011 at 01:00 AM.