Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: rolling tv thread

Oof. I really want to watch it but I'm waiting to finish a few other things first. I have that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that you get when you have massively high hopes for something and are beginning to think it may not live up to them.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

It's not bad at all. It was just that one episode. Don't feel down at heart Mr Tea

I'm three episodes in. What's amazing is how like Eraserhead it is! It's very slow but I'm enjoying it. Just makes you realize that there is really no-one to touch Lynch for the ability to evoke the sensation of nightmare. The kind that's more about the nausea of perverted reason than about fear per se. The creeping horror of sleep paralysis or a bad trip.

Also makes me think Stranger Things should've been called Actually Fairly Straightforward Things.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

just started watching "transparent", binged season one this weekend, really great depiction of liberal upper-class LA family dysfunction.

Norsemen - delicious, ridiculous & bizarre spoof of Viking life

2episodes in out of a series of 6 & its mint so far

not TV per se, Netflix: "Nanette", live standup comedy by Hannah Gadsby. unlike any standup comedy special you've ever seen, best not to read up on it first. just go in without prior knowledge, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    not TV per se, Netflix: "Nanette", live standup comedy by Hannah Gadsby. unlike any standup comedy special you've ever seen, best not to read up on it first. just go in without prior knowledge, trust me.
    YES. Massive cosign on this, definitely lives up to the hype.

Interested to hear more about what you two thought of Nanette. I certainly thought it was very interesting, and challenging, but at the end I wasn't really sure what impact it had had upon me (i.e. it certainly had an impact, but I was still unpicking what it was). Which is likely a very good thing - to be really challenged by TV is rare.

In this vein: after failing to get a grime reference about 'Marlo from the Wire' on account of never having watched it, I watched a few bits and pieces of The Wire on youtube to get myself up to speed. It was fine but I'm still unsure about bothering to put in the time to watch a whole series*. Can anyone explain why The Wire is better than The Sopranos and doesn't fall into the same traps (possibly the most mystifyingly overrated show of all time, imo - very watchable to pass the time and Gandolfini is brilliant, but ultimately presenting some pretty basic ideas about how the illegal economy works, and the clash of regular and fringe worlds, as earth-shattering revelations)?

Also watched a couple of episodes of 'Flint, Michigan' (which is being compared to a doc version of The Wire - make of that what you will). Interesting programme, though I felt something was missing, and I ended up drifting away and instead reading some articles about Flint, Wilmington and other small cities at the top end of the murder/violence per capita stats. Which were much more illuminating about the bigger picture. Whereas I kinda felt that the Flint programme was tending towards "difficult for the people living there, difficult for the police because of cuts, some corruption/water issues as well", rather than presenting the state of Flint as an admittedly extreme example which nonetheless still lies squarely within the logic of the late US capitalist idiom.

*Also, David Simon's reaction to the real life flashpoint of Baltimore's unrest/riots was so shit, patronising, conservative and utterly free of nuance that I'm unsure why I should expect much more from his TV series: http://davidsimon.com/baltimore/
    Last edited by baboon2004; 01-08-2018 at 04:03 PM.

youre not going to lure anyone into a debate on the wire in 2018. you didnt watch it, think of it as 200 hours or whatever of your life you saved for other things, like picking your nose and staring at a spot on the wall or whatever

Very worthy activities.

Unsure how discussions of old TV programmes are any different from discussions of old music, literature or poetry. Not looking for a debate anyways, just guidance.

If you like the sound of a work of fiction that is focused entirely on biblical levels of private sector shotting and public sector corruption- then the Wire is for you. The city depicted in the show is a living breathing thing. There are millions of characters in it, some of whom say one sentence in the first series then aren't seen again til five years later. Television often gets good when there are so many characters, and I can't think of any other show which has that many-3/4 of the filming budget must have gone on extras alone.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owengriffiths For This Useful Post:

@baboon. On holiday now so dont have time to respond properly but I plan to watch it again when I get back and will share my thoughts. Also dont want to spoil it for those who havent watched it yet.

For now, I just thought it was a really masterful performance, the way she shifted gears halfway through and takes the audience with her with such difficult material was really really impressive. Havent stopped thinking about it since I saw it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Benny B For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    ... Also dont want to spoil it for those who havent watched it yet.

For now, I just thought it was a really masterful performance, the way she shifted gears halfway through and takes the audience with her with such difficult material was really really impressive. Havent stopped thinking about it since I saw it.
    basically on board with both of benny's comments, and more a detailed explanation might be a spoiler than blunts the impact for anyone who still plans to see it. that said, in general terms, part of it as he says was the seamless transition from fairly straight-forward stand up to something much more, part of it was how it made me reassess self-deprecating humor, part of it was the brutally honest way the issues are addressed. lots of comics address discrimination, but none I recall by laying bare such harrowing personal experience.

as you said baboon, it was challenging and hard to unpack, tricky to put into words exactly. and I fear I've already said too much.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Owen, that's useful. I'm gonna give it a whirl for a couple of episodes, but tbh I'm not sure how into the millions-of-character concept I am. City as living, breathing entity sounds intriguing tho.

@Leo, Benny - yeah, that's kind of how I saw it. The shift in gears pulls the ground from under the viewer. Haven't seen anything like it before.

Sorry to be Mr that guy but you really can't judge the Wire on clips. Watch it from episode 1 and be prepared not to like it for the first few episodes. If you're not into it by the end of the first series then call it a day. Since you were mystified by the appeal of the Sopranos perhaps it won't be for you.

It's a very different show, though. To me the Sopranos was all about character rather than social critique. You might almost say the Wire is the polar opposite.

AFAIC those two shows are a cut above every other US drama wot I've seen. Both of them have their flaws and both went rather downhill towards the end (although the Wire season 4 is the best season IMO), but they do have that Victorian novel style gallery of memorable/legendary characters.