Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: rolling tv thread

Psyched to hear that Vice have picked up the option for Season 2 of Kocktails with Khlo.

They have a segment in each episode about natural highs apparently? Very 2005.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

When I look back on my long life on this cursed planet, my main regret is that I have been unable to see the 1989 pilot for the never to be made Australian version of Rentaghost.

Rentaghost remains, for the cognoscenti, the dialectical resolution of the original Ghostbusters and The Matrix franchise.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

The Defiant Ones - started off really well, better than Straight Outta Compton with the early Dre footage and Alonso Williams' hilarious pieces to camera. Ended depressingly - why would anyone with such musical talent become obsessed with business and fucking headphones?! Both Dre and Iovine endlessly stuck in the trap of trying to prove something - what? - to the parts of society that rejected/patronised them as young men. A story as old as human society.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

halfway through season two of "occupied" from norway, just as good as the first (which was pretty great). the original season predated all the news about Russian meddling, ahead of the curve.

I enjoyed Killing Amy, a bit, not as good or as rough as fleabag though,
    and now i'm enjoying Mystery Road ... oz noir

just having a go on this bit of juju https://www.squarepenguin.co.uk/
    (with a view to downloading the fantastic horrible histories female explorers katy perry pastiche )

Is anyone watching Season 2 of "The Sinner"? It's reminiscent of the first season of True Detective... sort of classic noir/thriller stuff but kinda good to see Bill Pullman again.

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    I enjoyed Killing Amy, a bit, not as good or as rough as fleabag though,
    and now i'm enjoying Mystery Road ... oz noir
    While Killing Amy had lots of good points, I found some of the sadism under the guise of 'edgy' entertainment pretty disturbing. Having watched a few episodes of Crashing as well, imo there's generally something disturbed/ing in Phoebe Waller-Bridge's writing, underneath the (very) seductive patina of the engaging and wry scripts. This seems quite an obvious thing to say, but most of the reviews of her shows seem to totally miss it/ignore it.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 30-11-2018 at 10:14 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

I'm all about Sabrina. And The Final Table, but I'll keep that to myself.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mistersloane For This Useful Post:

Hadn't heard about The Final Table, but will investigate...

My favourite piece of TV cookery competition ever:

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Hadn't heard about The Final Table, but will investigate...

My favourite piece of TV cookery competition ever:

OMG that's fantastic, thank you. Final Table is grandiosity and pomposity and deep voiced announcers and sets that make the cooks look like Hindu gods.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Anyone been bothering with S3 of True Detective? It isn't as good as the first, but it's a lot better than the second. Stephen Dorff making everyone wonder where he's been since Blade.
    Not yet, but tempted. I got two episodes into the second series and gave up. That bloody girl singing in the bar was so Lynch-by-numbers is was actually cringe-making...
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I'm not sure this is the right crowd to cure my confusion, but can someone explain to me the enduring popularity of mildly 'edgy' comedy dramas such as Sex Education? It seems to be written by people who have only just discovered that Heathers exists.

I don't watch TV that much these days, but it doesn't seem that much has changed in the UK over the past 20 years, when I see a show like this. It's mildly diverting, and the main draw of Gillian Anderson as a sex therapist has its appeal, but there's just nothing at all at stake (and in that way it shares something with True Detective Series 2).

See also Catastrophe, which at least had the saving grace of being pretty funny at times.

My guess would be it has 'sex' in the title. Also, isn't it a Netflix show? I didn't know it was British.

I recently watched the Beeb's ridiculous 'Les Miserables' (well, since I haven't read the book it might be Hugo's ridiculous Les Mis), which was worth watching only for Dominic West's doglike eyes. Javert was the most ludicrously monomaniacal character, served up by David Oyelowo as hammy as a ham sandwich. I couldn't tell if the incredible coincidences in it were simply Victorian era devices or if Andrew Davies had made the whole thing much less believable by compressing 1000 pages into six hours.

The best 'TV' I've seen recently has been series starring Benedict Cumberbatch - Patrick Melrose and The Hollow Crown: Richard III. He often does a variation on the same character - autistically disconnected genius man/bastard - but he's definitely a 'i'll watch him in anything' case.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    I'm not sure this is the right crowd to cure my confusion, but can someone explain to me the enduring popularity of mildly 'edgy' comedy dramas such as Sex Education? It seems to be written by people who have only just discovered that Heathers exists.

I don't watch TV that much these days, but it doesn't seem that much has changed in the UK over the past 20 years, when I see a show like this. It's mildly diverting, and the main draw of Gillian Anderson as a sex therapist has its appeal, but there's just nothing at all at stake (and in that way it shares something with True Detective Series 2).

See also Catastrophe, which at least had the saving grace of being pretty funny at times.
    i feel that it doesn't really matter what netflix brings out, it will be the talk of the day for some weeks before it fades away slowly. with everything being available on demand now, one would assume that a lot of different people would watch different stuff but it seems it works out the other way around: everybody is consuming the same.