M.I.A. vs. Mario Brothers

dominic

Beast of Burden
brilliant! -- plus we're not too far from bleep n bass territory with this one! -- and mark kinchen has a classic detroit techno track that loops an atari them over and over

but this mix has been around for several months now, hasn't it?

i should try to pick up a copy

Plasticman

Excuse my ignorance but is that "galang" tune actually a big tune or was it done as a joke?

It just sounds like parody to me

mpc

wasteman
'galang' is probably mia's best track.

it sounds a lot better obviously without the theme to mario bros over it

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
On Kid K's mix he seems to mix Galang into Super Mario Bros but I guess it could be the booty.

Either way it sounds fab in the context of his Absolutely Shocking mix.

dominic

Beast of Burden
that mark kinchen track i was trying to think of is "first bass" by separate minds, which endlessly loops some early 80s arcade game theme -- not sure which game

somebody should do a compilation of dance tracks with themes sampled from video games

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
dominic said:
that mark kinchen track i was trying to think of is "first bass" by separate minds, which endlessly loops some early 80s arcade game theme -- not sure which game

somebody should do a compilation of dance tracks with themes sampled from video games

You wanna start a list? Well here I go:

Jo - R-Type
Power Pill - pac man
that zombie nation track

mms

sometimes
i saw a w/l of remixes of galang by caveman (is that the old hip hop group who did the crosstown traffic sampling tune i'm ready?
) and vibes cartel today .
very odd, didn't buy it as i'm just gonna buy new things at the moment.

mpc

wasteman
MIA - galang 12" on xl had remixes by vybz cartel and cavemen (ross from fat truckers doing sheffield electro ragga but good). the 12" is actually good.

the mario bros thing was by 'cry.on.my.console' who does other bootleg things.

J

jimbackhouse

Hosono (from YMO) also did a whole album of video game music for Namco: each tracks begins with sound fx and music from a then popular video game (pacman, pole position, galaga, xevious (?), bosconian (??), and others even more obscure) before launching into hosono's synth-pop interpretation using the same fx and sounds. It's a great album but hard to listen to all the way through!!

kingofcars

DigitalDjigit said:
You wanna start a list? Well here I go:

Jo - R-Type
Power Pill - pac man
that zombie nation track

kernkraft 400 by zombie nation is the track that appropriates the melody from 'lazy jones'.
8 bit construction set 12" on beige records
monotrona's 'tekgul' (i think) samples the 'sanxion' theme.

i've got an appallingly bad mid 80's hip hop 12" somewhere called "do the mario" that samples the mario bros theme... can't remember the artist right now...

theres that metal band the minibosses that exclusively cover nes game themes... and another metal band that also does the same...

S

simon silverdollar

sampling computer games:

wiley 'igloo'.
terror danjah- cockback [i think].
most of knifehandchop's first album as well.

Noah Baby Food

Anyone remember a record called "Mario Paint" that came out on Irdial in the mid-90s sometime? all the tracks were composed using the Mario Paint cartridge for the SNES, which came with a really basic sequencing program using sounds from the Mario games. To be honest, the tracks were a bit duff...apart from one remix that was high quality, really good driving house thing...

...been doing some googling and I think it's by Electric Family. Curio value only, apart from the remix.

That old DJ Pierre track, "Rise From Your Grave", samples Sega classic "Altered Beast".

Always thought someone should sample the "bad...move...space...pilot...HA-HA-HA" dialogue from Gorf, but as far as I know no-one ever did.