RIP Benoit Mandlebrot

Client Eastwood

I remember watching Equinox which was supposed to be popular science made easy and they were explaining mandlebrot theory. First 20 minutes was easy then the maths it was too much for my brain, but when I see this this I don't feel the need to understand the science. Beautiful piece of nature. Yeah broccoli.

broccoli.jpg

craner

Beast of Burden
When I first worked at Foyles I ran the Maths and Physics department, and I found some old hardback copies of The Fractal Geometry of Nature -- quite a mesmerising book. When that Stephen Wolfram book was big (which was only for about two months, or as long as the hype lasted) I suddenly started selling all the Mandlebrot stock, and I was slightly sad to see it go. I had all these weird, and hugely expensive, University of Santa Fe periodicals too, and they suddenly got popular and vanished. It was quite good -- complex maths you could just about arc your brain around, unlike string theory.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
The Border Community label just blogged about this... This video is great. Relatively easy to understand, I thought - doesn't talk about the details so much as what he was up to.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>