Pointless but...

sufi

lala
i have a big urge to merge the pointless 3 threads, unless anyone can persuade me not to?

why?
partly because of the perennial issue of straggling long threads that should be lots of nice little new threads
e.g. from the last couple of pages:

icon1.gif
My Gas Problems
icon1.gif
Ignominious Flatmates
icon1.gif
Royal Visit Sartorial Advice
icon1.gif
Maldives Matrimonial Mayhem

also there's a certain tantalising conceptual question for me about what's the difference between pointless stuff that does yr head in/makes you go oooh/chuckle

i'll make it a sticky - what you reckon?

grizzleb

I'd say don't do it. They each have a clearly delineated territory. I like your point about the threads basically encapsulating lots of little threads though, but I think one thread might be too beefy. And if someone posted a newspaper article I wouldn't know whether to laugh, be angry or feel astonished.

john eden

male pale and stale
I think this was tried before with the various "rolling" threads and it didn't really work.

doing it again might just annoy people. Not me particularly, mind.

I just don't think there is any evidence that this course of action will result in the changes you are hoping for.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Also, I don't see much advantage in having a new thread every time someone sees a funny picture or gets annoyed by something. I mean, I always thought that Dissensus was meant to be a bit challenging and weighty, and the rolling "Pointless But..." threads are a nice compromise in that they let people post lightweight stuff if they want to without the entire place getting taken over by "OMG FUNNIEST VIDEO EVAR" threads...